Conditional Probability with combinatorics

In summary, the probability of a hand containing the ace of spades is 1/4 if there is at least one ace in the hand.
dmpiq
If a hand of 5 cards are dealt from a 52 card pack (order doesn't matter), what is the probability that the hand will contain the ace of spades GIVEN that there is at least one ace?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not certain of my sol'n , but this is what I think :

Let E represent the event that "In a hand of 5 cards from a 52 card pack (order doesn't matter), that the hand will contain the ace of spades GIVEN that there is at least one ace in the hand"

Let P(E) represent the probability that event E happens

Now since I donno how to use the Latex formatting , I am goin to use C(n,k) to represent the no of ways to select k things from a collection of n things.

i.e. C(n,k) = n! / { ( n-k)! * k! }

Now ,

P(E) = P(E given there is exactly one ace ) * P( there is exactly one ace given there is at least one ace)
+
P(E given there are exactly 2 aces ) * P( there are exactly 2 aces given there is at least one ace)
+
P(E given there are exactly 3 aces ) * P( there are exactly 3 aces given there is at least one ace)
+
P(E given there are exactly 4 aces ) * P( there are exactly 4 aces given there is at least one ace)

Now ,
P(E given there is exactly one ace ) = 1/4
P( there is exactly one ace given there is at least one ace) = C(3,0) * C(48,4) / C(51,4)

Similarly ,

P(E given there are exactly 2 aces ) = 2/4
P( there is exactly one ace given there is at least one ace) = c(3,1) * C(48,3) / C(51,4)

and so on ,

Thus :

P(E) = (1/4) * { C(3,0) * C(48,4) / C(51,4) } + (2/4) * { C(3,1) * C(48,3) / C(51,4) }

+ (3/4) * { C(3,2) * C(48,1) / C(51,4) } + (4/4) * { C(3,3) * C(48,0) / C(51,4) }

srijithu, your approach appears to be reasonable (although dmpiq said it was a 5 card hand not a 4 card hand). However, the problem isn't that complicated.

Let A = the event that there is at least once ace, and B = the event that there is the ace of spaces.
P(B|A) = P(A and B) / P(A)
Now, P(A and B) = P(B) since there is no way to get the ace of spaces without getting at least one ace. So we really just want P(B) / P(A).
P(B) = C(51,4) / C(52,5)
P(A) = 1 - P(zero aces) = 1 - C(48,5)/C(52,5)
P(B|A) = C(51,4)/(C(52,5)*(1-C(48,5) / C(52,5)))

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, but isn't Pr(A and B) = Pr(B) if A is the event 'exactly one ace'? Here, it is at least one ace, so there can be 1 - 4 aces, but the ace of spades always has to be in the hand. Thus, the possible combinations can be:

Ace of Spades x another 4 cards
Ace of Spades x Ace of Hearts x Another 3 cards
Ace of Spades x Ace of Hearts x Ace of Diamonds x Another 2 cards
Ace of Spades x Ace of Hearts x Ace of Diamonds x Ace of of Clubs x Another card

Is this algorithm/method correct? Thanks.

To reiterate:
A = at least once ace
B = the ace of spades
P(A and B) = P(B). Why? Well, suppose your hand has the ace of spades. Then, it has the ace of spades and has at least one ace. Conversely, suppose your hand has the ace of spades and has at least one ace. Then, it has the ace of spades. So the event "B" happens if and only if the event "A and B" happens, so "B" and "A and B" are the same event, so P(A and B) = P(B).

Ah, I just realized I had a brain fart in my last post (not related to the above conceptual issue)... fixed

Last edited:

Related to Conditional Probability with combinatorics

1. What is conditional probability with combinatorics?

Conditional probability with combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the likelihood of an event occurring under certain conditions. It involves using combinatorial methods, such as combinations and permutations, to calculate the probability of an event happening given that another event has already occurred.

2. How is conditional probability with combinatorics different from regular probability?

Conditional probability with combinatorics takes into account additional information or conditions when calculating the probability of an event. This differs from regular probability, which looks at the overall likelihood of an event occurring without considering any external factors.

3. What are some real-life applications of conditional probability with combinatorics?

Conditional probability with combinatorics has many practical applications, such as in genetics to determine the likelihood of inheriting certain traits, in finance to predict stock market trends, and in epidemiology to calculate the risk of disease outbreaks. It is also used in fields such as sports analytics, weather forecasting, and market research.

4. How do you calculate conditional probability with combinatorics?

To calculate conditional probability with combinatorics, you first need to find the probability of the first event occurring. Then, you need to determine the probability of the second event occurring, given that the first event has already happened. Finally, you multiply these two probabilities together to get the conditional probability.

5. Can conditional probability with combinatorics be applied to more than two events?

Yes, it is possible to apply conditional probability with combinatorics to more than two events. This is known as multiple conditional probability and involves calculating the likelihood of an event occurring given that two or more other events have already happened. The same principles of finding probabilities and multiplying them together apply in this case as well.