Conditional rotation in the bloch sphere with a 2-qubit system

In summary, the problem is to rotate two spins, m_S and m_I, using specific conditions. The first spin can be either up or down, while the second spin can be -1, 0, or 1. The goal is to rotate m_S around the x-axis by pi/2, followed by a waiting time t where m_S rotates around the z-axis based on the state of m_I. After this, another rotation around the y-axis is performed to entangle the two spins. The solution involves distributing the tensor product and applying a controlled operation to every basis state.
Verdict

Homework Statement

The problem is as follows. I have two spins, [itex]m_S[/itex] and [itex]m_I[/itex]. The first spin can either be [itex]\uparrow[/itex] or [itex]\downarrow[/itex] , and the second spin can be -1, 0 or 1.
Now, I envision the situation as the first spin being on the bloch sphere, with up up to and down at the bottom.
What I want to do is as follows:
Given an initial situation [itex]\left|\psi\right> = \left|\psi_1\right> \otimes \left|\psi_2\right> = \left|\uparrow\right> \otimes \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\left( \left|-1\right> + \left|0\right>+ \left|1\right> \right)[/itex]

I want to rotate m_S around the x-axis by pi/2, followed by a waiting time t. In this waiting time t, I want m_S to rotate around the z-axis, conditional on the state of m_I. If m_I is -1, m_S should rotate clockwise, if it is 0, m_S should not rotate, and if it is 1, m_S should rotate anticlockwise.

After this has happened, I want to perform another rotation, this time around the y-axis. This way, the state of m_S becomes entangled with the state m_I.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, the rotation part I know how to do, as that can simply be written as

[itex]\left|\psi\right> = R_x (\frac{\pi}{2}) \left|\psi_1\right> \otimes \left|\psi_2\right> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( \left|\uparrow\right> -i \left|\downarrow\right> \right) \otimes \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\left( \left|-1\right> + \left|0\right>+ \left|1\right> \right)[/itex]

But here I get to the point of the conditional rotation, and I don't know how to proceed. Could anyone help me start with this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Distribute out the tensor product. [itex]\sum_i \alpha_i \left|i \right> \otimes \sum_j \beta_j \left|j \right>=\sum_{i,j} \alpha_i \beta_j \left|i\right> \otimes \left|j \right>[/itex]. Then apply the controlled operation to every basis state.

Related to Conditional rotation in the bloch sphere with a 2-qubit system

1. What is the Bloch sphere?

The Bloch sphere is a visual representation of a quantum state in a 2-qubit system. It is a unit sphere with the north and south poles representing the two basis states (0 and 1) and all other points representing superpositions of these states.

2. How does conditional rotation work in the Bloch sphere?

In a 2-qubit system, conditional rotation involves applying a rotation to one qubit based on the state of the other qubit. This can be represented in the Bloch sphere by rotating the state of one qubit around the axis of the other qubit.

3. What is the purpose of conditional rotation in a 2-qubit system?

Conditional rotation allows for the manipulation and control of the quantum state of one qubit based on the state of another qubit. This is essential for performing operations and computations in quantum computing.

4. How is conditional rotation implemented in a 2-qubit system?

In a 2-qubit system, conditional rotation can be implemented using quantum gates such as the Controlled NOT (CNOT) gate or the Controlled Phase (CPHASE) gate. These gates act on both qubits simultaneously, resulting in the conditional rotation of one qubit based on the state of the other.

5. What are the potential applications of conditional rotation in the Bloch sphere with a 2-qubit system?

Conditional rotation is a crucial operation in quantum computing and has potential applications in various fields such as cryptography, simulation, and optimization. It is also used in quantum error correction and creating entangled states, which are essential for quantum communication and teleportation.