Conditions on Complex Inequality

In summary, it appears that the homework equation x=0 can only be satisfied if the following three conditions are met: 1) x is non-negative; 2) x is the sum of the first two terms of w_3; and 3) w_3 is not negative.
Shoelace Thm.

Homework Statement

Find constraints on [itex] a,b,c \in \mathbb{R} [/itex] such that [itex] \forall w_1,w_2,w_3 \in \mathbb{C} [/itex],

(1) [itex] x = |w_1|^2(1-c) + a|w_2|^2 + c|w_1+w_3|^2 + |w_3|^2(b-c) \ge 0 [/itex] and

(2) [itex] x=0 \Rightarrow w_1=w_2=w_3=0 [/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the solution is [itex] a>0, c = \mathbb{R_{+}} \setminus \{1\}, b>c [/itex], but I am not sure if there are stronger bounds. How can I know for sure?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have made sure that each term is not negative - which certainly guarantees the sum is not negative. Though note: c ≤ 1 means that (1 - c) ≥ 0 doesn't it so do you need the lower bound on c?

Is it possible for some terms to be negative and still end up with x not negative?
i.e. if you allow the constraints on a,b,c, to depend on the |wi| etc. (where i is in {1,2,3}.)

Though I'm guessing that conditions (1) and (2) have to be satisfied simultaneously ... i.e. need to see your reasoning.

note: ##w_1=w_2=w_3=0## certainly means the ##x=0## no matter what a,b,c are. But that's not what condition (2) says is it?

Last edited:
Well as you note I chose a and b so that the terms involving them are positive. c can be any positive real except 1. It can be positive and less than 1 obviously. It can't equal 1 because then w_1 can be any complex number. It can be greater than 1 because the sum of the first and third terms of x are then positive. If c is not bounded below by 0, then for large w_3, the sum of the first and third terms of x are negative.

As to your note, no, that's not what condition (2) says.

OK - if every term has to be, individually, non-negative (and that "for all" kinda suggests this) then I don't see tighter constraints. There is this feeling there is something left out isn't there - but that's the only thing that springs to my mind.

Related to Conditions on Complex Inequality

1. What is complex inequality and how does it differ from simple inequality?

Complex inequality refers to a situation where multiple factors contribute to an unequal distribution of resources or opportunities. This can include a combination of social, economic, political, and historical factors. Simple inequality, on the other hand, typically refers to a single factor that results in unequal outcomes.

2. What are some examples of conditions that contribute to complex inequality?

Some examples of conditions that contribute to complex inequality include systemic racism, gender discrimination, economic disparities, unequal access to education and healthcare, and historical legacies of colonization and imperialism.

3. How can complex inequality be measured and evaluated?

Complex inequality can be measured and evaluated through a variety of methods, such as statistical analysis of demographic data, qualitative research on individual experiences and perceptions, and historical analysis of societal structures and policies. It is important to use a combination of approaches in order to fully understand and address complex inequality.

4. What are the consequences of complex inequality?

The consequences of complex inequality can be far-reaching and have a profound impact on individuals, communities, and societies as a whole. These consequences can include limited opportunities for social and economic mobility, health disparities, unequal access to resources and opportunities, and perpetuation of systemic discrimination and oppression.

5. How can we address and reduce complex inequality?

Addressing and reducing complex inequality requires a multifaceted approach that involves addressing systemic issues and promoting equity and justice. This can include implementing policies and practices that promote equal access to education, healthcare, and job opportunities, addressing systemic discrimination and bias, and promoting diversity and inclusion in all sectors. It also requires continuous evaluation and reevaluation of policies and practices to ensure they are not perpetuating inequality.