Conditions on overdetermined linear system to be consistent?

Otherwise, the system is inconsistent and has no solution. In summary, for an overdetermined linear system Ax = b to be consistent, b must be in the column space of A.
mosawi

Homework Statement

17) Let A = [1,2 ; -2,-5 ; 2,1 ; 1,-1 ; 1,-2] which is a 5x2 matrix (sorry I don't know how to code a matrix properly).

What conditions must be imposed on vector b for the overdetermined linear system Ax = b (both x and b have arrows on top) to be consistent?

Homework Equations

An overtdetermined system - If m > n, then the linear system Ax = b is inconsistent for at least one vector b in ℝ^n.

The Attempt at a Solution

If m > n (more rows than columns), in which case the column vectors of A cannot span ℝ^m (fewer vectors than the dimension of ℝ^m).

So, there is at least one vector b in ℝ^m that is not in the column space of A, and for that b the system A x = b is inconsistent by Theorem 4.7.1 which states A system of linear equations  is consistent if and only if b is in the column space of A.[STRIKE]So the conditions that must be imposed on b must be to zero out variables? I know this is wrong but I don't really know what to do?[/STRIKE]

******************UPDATE******************
I think I solved it guys, can someone check my solution and tell if its correct if not, what do I need to do to make it correct. I've attached the solution to this poste. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
**The conditions that must be imposed on vector b for the overdetermined linear system Ax = b to be consistent is that b must be in the column space of A. In other words, b must be a linear combination of the column vectors of A. This means that the linear system Ax = b has a solution only if b is in the range of A.

Related to Conditions on overdetermined linear system to be consistent?

1. What does it mean for an overdetermined linear system to be consistent?

Consistency in a linear system means that there exists at least one solution that satisfies all of the equations in the system. In an overdetermined system, there are more equations than unknowns, so it is possible for there to be no exact solution that satisfies all of the equations. In this case, the system is consistent if there is a "best fit" solution that minimizes the error between the equations and the solution.

2. How can I determine if an overdetermined linear system is consistent?

To determine if an overdetermined linear system is consistent, you can use techniques such as Gaussian elimination or matrix inversion to solve the system. If a solution exists, the system is consistent. If no solution can be found, the system is inconsistent and has no solution.

3. Can an overdetermined linear system be consistent and have multiple solutions?

Yes, it is possible for an overdetermined linear system to be consistent and have multiple solutions. This occurs when there are more equations than unknowns, but the equations are not linearly independent. In this case, there may be multiple solutions that satisfy all of the equations, but they may not be unique.

4. What happens if an overdetermined linear system is inconsistent?

If an overdetermined linear system is inconsistent, it means that there is no solution that satisfies all of the equations. This could be due to a mistake in the equations or a contradiction between them. In this case, the system has no solution and is considered to be "overdetermined and inconsistent."

5. Can an overdetermined linear system be consistent and have no solution?

No, an overdetermined linear system cannot be consistent and have no solution. If the system is consistent, it means that there is at least one solution that satisfies all of the equations. If there is no solution, the system is inconsistent. Therefore, a consistent overdetermined system must have at least one solution.