Conductor inside an electric motor current calculation

In summary, the current in an electric motor is calculated by dividing the applied voltage by the total resistance of the circuit, according to Ohm's Law. The amount of voltage applied, resistance of the circuit, and type and size of the conductor used are all factors that affect the current. The conductor inside the motor plays a crucial role in determining the current, and it can be changed by altering the voltage, resistance, or both. If the current is too high, it can lead to overheating and potential damage to the motor, so precautions should be taken to keep it within a safe range.
oxon88

Homework Statement

A 500 mm conductor inside an electric motor has a force of 1.5 Newtons exerted on it. If it is at right angles to a magnetic field of flux density 0.6 T, calculate the current flowing in the conductor.

Homework Equations

F=B.I.L

The Attempt at a Solution

B = 0.6T
F = 1.5N
L = 500mm = 0.5m
I =?1.5 = 0.6*I*0.5

I = 1.5/0.3= 5 amps.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right. :wink:

Related to Conductor inside an electric motor current calculation

1. How is the current calculated in an electric motor?

The current in an electric motor is calculated by dividing the applied voltage by the total resistance of the circuit. This can be represented by Ohm's Law: I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes (A), V is the voltage in volts (V), and R is the resistance in ohms (Ω).

2. What factors affect the current in an electric motor?

The current in an electric motor is affected by the amount of voltage applied, the resistance of the circuit, and the type and size of the conductor used. Other factors such as temperature, material properties, and external magnetic fields can also impact the current.

3. How does the conductor inside an electric motor affect the current?

The conductor inside an electric motor plays a crucial role in determining the current. The material, length, cross-sectional area, and temperature of the conductor all affect its resistance, which in turn affects the current. For example, a longer and thinner conductor will have a higher resistance and therefore a lower current compared to a shorter and thicker conductor.

4. Can the current in an electric motor be changed?

Yes, the current in an electric motor can be changed by altering the voltage, resistance, or both. By increasing the voltage or decreasing the resistance, the current will increase. Similarly, decreasing the voltage or increasing the resistance will decrease the current.

5. What happens if the current in an electric motor is too high?

If the current in an electric motor is too high, it can cause the motor to overheat and potentially damage its components. This can also result in a higher energy consumption and reduced efficiency. To prevent this, proper calculations and precautions should be taken to ensure the current is within a safe range for the motor.