Cone-shaped drain speed based on R and time

• Thread starter Rileyss123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed Time
In summary, the conversation discusses a circular cone with a 35 degree angle and a 25 g ice cube sliding around it without friction in a horizontal circle of radius R. The solution involves finding the required speed of the ice cube, determining if any data is unnecessary, and then analyzing how the required speed and time for each revolution change as R is doubled. The solution is found using the equations Fc=mv^2/r and ac=v^2/r, and it is determined that the required speed increases by a factor of sqrt(2) and the time for each revolution decreases by a factor of 1/sqrt(2) as R is doubled.
Rileyss123

Homework Statement

A basin surrounding a drain has a shape of a circular cone opening upward, having everywhere an angle of 35 with the horizontal. A 25 g ice cube is set sliding around the cone without friction in a horizontal circle of radius R.
(a) find the speed the ice cube must have based on r
(b) is any piece of data unnecessary for the solution? suppose R is two times larger
(c) will the required speed inc, dec, or stay constant? If it changes by what factor?
(d) will the time required for each revolution inc, dec, or constant? by what factor if it changes?
(e) do answers to part c and d seem contradictory? Explain how they are consistent

Homework Equations

Fc=mv^2/r
ac=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start. I wasn't even able to come up with a FBD
guessing if I use (SIGMA)Fr=mv^2/r
you can solve for speed for part a but what would be on the other side.
i really have no idea

Physics news on Phys.org
Rileyss123 said:

Homework Statement

A basin surrounding a drain has a shape of a circular cone opening upward, having everywhere an angle of 35 with the horizontal. A 25 g ice cube is set sliding around the cone without friction in a horizontal circle of radius R.
(a) find the speed the ice cube must have based on r
(b) is any piece of data unnecessary for the solution? suppose R is two times larger
(c) will the required speed inc, dec, or stay constant? If it changes by what factor?
(d) will the time required for each revolution inc, dec, or constant? by what factor if it changes?
(e) do answers to part c and d seem contradictory? Explain how they are consistent

Homework Equations

Fc=mv^2/r
ac=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start. I wasn't even able to come up with a FBD
guessing if I use (SIGMA)Fr=mv^2/r
you can solve for speed for part a but what would be on the other side.
i really have no idea

Think of it as a banked curve. What speed needs to be maintained so the centripetal acceleration will balance the downward force of gravity along the incline.
(Hint: The angle affects each. Which functions of the angle need to be applied to each?)

SIGMA Fr=(mv^2)r
Nsin@=(mv^2)r

then from vertical component we find
Ncos@=mg
so N=(mg)/cos@
mg/cos@ * sin@ =(mv^2)r
tan@mg=(mv^2)r
do some work~~~~
v=sqrt(rtan@g)
did i do this right?

mass is unnecessary because it is crossed out

(c) inc by a factor of sqrt(2)

yes?

then part d
T=(2*pi*R)/v

and then period will decrease by a factor of 1/sqrt(2)

okay i think i got it.
haha THANKSS for the clue!

Rileyss123 said:
v=sqrt(rtan@g)
did i do this right?

Good enough.
mass is unnecessary because it is crossed out
Good again.
(c) inc by a factor of sqrt(2)
You're on a roll.
then part d
T=(2*pi*R)/v
and then period will decrease by a factor of 1/sqrt(2)
Almost. V increases by Sqrt(2) bur R doubles in that equation.

thanks again !

Related to Cone-shaped drain speed based on R and time

1. What factors affect the drain speed of a cone-shaped drain?

The drain speed of a cone-shaped drain is affected by the radius of the drain (R) and the amount of time (t) it takes for the liquid to drain.

2. How does the radius of the drain affect the speed of draining?

The larger the radius of the drain, the faster the liquid will drain. This is because a larger radius creates a larger opening for the liquid to flow through, allowing it to drain more quickly.

3. Does the time it takes for the liquid to drain have an impact on the drain speed?

Yes, the time it takes for the liquid to drain also affects the drain speed. The longer the liquid takes to drain, the slower the drain speed will be.

4. How can I calculate the drain speed of a cone-shaped drain?

The drain speed can be calculated using the equation v = R/t, where v represents the drain speed, R is the radius of the drain, and t is the time it takes for the liquid to drain.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the drain speed of a cone-shaped drain?

Yes, there are other factors that can impact the drain speed, such as the viscosity of the liquid being drained and any obstructions or blockages in the drain. These factors can slow down the drain speed, so it is important to keep the drain clear and use liquids with lower viscosities for faster draining.