Configuration of tables arising from seating of couples

In summary, the theorem states that there exists a graph with at most two cycles, and the number of people sitting in each table is a possible arrangement that satisfies the first and second rules of the seating arrangement problem.
Bingk1
Hello, I need some ideas on this problem, but there's a bit of an explanation before I get to the actual problem.

Say you have C couples to be arranged over N tables. Rules for arrangement are as follows: 1) Couples may not be seated in the same table (i.e. the husband and wife must be separated) and 2) If a couple is already seated at table I and J, then no other couple may be seated at I and J (i.e. if one member of the couple is seated at table I and the partner at table J, then if a member of another couple is seated at table I, that member's partner should not be seated at table J).
If it helps, you may think of the couples as the edges of a graph and tables as vertices. So rule 1 tells us that there are no loops, and rule 2 tells us there aren't any multiple/parallel edges.
I'm not too concerned about the possible arrangements of the couples. I'm more interested in the number of people seated in each table (e.g. If we have 5 tables, four of which have 1 person seated, and the remaining table has 5 people seated, this could be the result of having 4 husbands seated together and their wives each get their own table. Ofcourse, there are other possibilities, but I'm just concerned about the configuration of the tables)

Now, my problem is this. I have N tables, with table i having Ti people seated. What can I do to determine if the seating is a possible arrangement that follows the above rules?

Some things that I have determined:
1) If the table configuration is to satisfy only the first rule, then it is enough that there should be an even number of people and if the table with the most people seated there has P people, then this should be less than or equal to half the total number of people (I'm 99% sure about this, my proof needs work, but I may not get around to it as this is only for the case of the first rule being satisfied).

2)The most that can be seated in one table is N-1 (N is the number of tables). So, if there is a table with N or more people, then the configuration does not satisfy the rules.

Just to be clear, the labeling of the tables is not important either (e.g. It doesn't matter if Table 1 has 1 person, Tables 2 and 3 have two people each, and Table 4 has 3 people, what matters is that there is a table with 1 person, 2 tables with 2 people each, and another table with 4 people). But for convenience, we may label the tables (i.e. Table 1 has the least number of people seated, Table 2 has the next least number of people seated, etc.). Last thing, tables may be empty.

Any help would be much appreciated! Including guiding me to related literature (i.e. if this looks like it fits in a particular area of math that I'm not aware of, or if there are other similar/related problems).

Thanks in advance! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks to all who viewed my post and spent some time on it!

But ... after giving it much thought, I realized that posing the question in terms of graphs might lead to a solution in graph theory, and after some investigation, the solution is the Erdos-Gallai Theorem.

Related to Configuration of tables arising from seating of couples

1. What is the purpose of configuring tables for seating couples?

The purpose of configuring tables for seating couples is to ensure that couples are seated together in a way that promotes social interaction and comfort.

2. How is the configuration of tables for seating couples determined?

The configuration of tables for seating couples is typically determined by the event organizer or venue based on the number of couples attending and the seating layout of the space.

3. What factors should be considered when configuring tables for seating couples?

Factors that should be considered when configuring tables for seating couples include the size and shape of the tables, the number of couples attending, the type of event, and the desired level of intimacy among couples.

4. Can couples request a specific seating arrangement?

In most cases, couples can request a specific seating arrangement, but this may not always be possible due to space limitations or other logistical considerations. It is best to communicate any special requests to the event organizer or venue in advance.

5. How can the configuration of tables for seating couples be optimized for social interaction?

The configuration of tables for seating couples can be optimized for social interaction by placing couples in close proximity to each other, avoiding large obstructions between tables, and providing ample space for movement and conversation.