Configuring op-amp to supply constant current

In summary, an op-amp can supply a constant current by using a feedback loop with a resistor and a transistor to sense and regulate the current. This allows for precise control and stability of the current, making it useful in applications such as LED lighting and sensor circuits. However, there are limitations to using an op-amp as a constant current source, such as maximum output current and minimum load resistance requirements. When selecting an op-amp for this purpose, one must consider factors such as maximum output current, voltage ranges, and accuracy. Multiple op-amps can be used in parallel to increase the output current, but caution must be taken to ensure proper configuration and matching specifications.
Collisionman

Homework Statement

How could an op-amp with feedback be configured so that it would supply a constant current to some load, even if the resistance of the load changed?

Homework Equations

None. Just a general question.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to approach this as I don't have a huge amount of knowledge of electronics.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want something held constant it usually needs to participate in the feedback path in some way...

FAQ: Configuring op-amp to supply constant current

1. How does an op-amp supply a constant current?

An op-amp can be configured as a constant current source by using a feedback loop with a resistor and a transistor. The op-amp senses the voltage across the resistor and adjusts the output voltage to maintain a constant current through the resistor.

2. What is the advantage of using an op-amp as a constant current source?

Using an op-amp as a constant current source allows for precise control and regulation of the current, even with variations in the load resistance. This makes it useful in applications where a stable and accurate current is required, such as in LED lighting or sensor circuits.

3. What are the limitations of using an op-amp as a constant current source?

One limitation is that the maximum output current of the op-amp is limited by its internal circuitry. Additionally, the op-amp may require a minimum load resistance to function properly.

4. How do I choose the appropriate op-amp for a constant current source?

When selecting an op-amp for a constant current source, it is important to consider the maximum output current, input and output voltage ranges, and the required accuracy and stability of the current. It is also important to choose an op-amp with low offset voltage and low input bias current to minimize errors.

5. Can I use multiple op-amps to increase the output current of a constant current source?

Yes, multiple op-amps can be connected in parallel to increase the output current of a constant current source. However, it is important to ensure that the op-amps have matching specifications and are properly configured to avoid any imbalances in the current output.