Confirm Calculation of Bullet Velocity to Hit Skeet

In summary, the conversation is discussing the initial velocity of a bullet needed to hit a skeet. The speed of the skeet is given as 25.0 m/s [H 75 U] and the time it takes for the rifleman to shoot and hit the target is 2.4 seconds. The speaker has calculated an initial velocity of 191 m/s [H 78 U] but is unsure if it is correct due to the fact that skeet are fired at an angle. The other speaker confirms that the numbers sound about right for a bullet speed and mentions that skeet are typically fired at an angle, but the problem is assumed to be one dimensional.
AaronL
A skeet is shot at 25.0 m/s [H 75 U], 2 seconds later the rifleman shoots, striking the target in .4s. What initial velocty of the bullet is needed for it to hit the skeet?

I just need somone to confirm the answer I have. It's probably way off but I got 191 m/s [H 78 U]

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The bullet must travel the same distance as the skeet does.
The speed I got was a bit smaller.

Is this a one dimensional problem or what? Skeet are fired at an angle...

The numbers sound about right for... roughly 350 mph is an ok bullet speed (kinda on the lower end however)

Pengwuino said:
Is this a one dimensional problem or what? Skeet are fired at an angle...
I assumed it is one dimensional. If it isn't, my help is of course incorrect.

answer is smaller

Related to Confirm Calculation of Bullet Velocity to Hit Skeet

1. How is bullet velocity calculated?

Bullet velocity is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the bullet (in feet) by the time it takes to travel that distance (in seconds). This gives the velocity in feet per second (fps).

2. Why is it important to confirm the calculation of bullet velocity?

Confirming the calculation of bullet velocity is important because it ensures that the bullet will hit the target accurately and safely. It also helps to determine the appropriate amount of force needed to propel the bullet to the desired velocity.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the bullet velocity calculation?

Factors that can affect the accuracy of the bullet velocity calculation include air resistance, temperature, humidity, and altitude. The type and weight of the bullet used can also have an impact on the final velocity.

4. How can I test the accuracy of my bullet velocity calculation?

To test the accuracy of your bullet velocity calculation, you can use a chronograph or a ballistic pendulum. These tools measure the actual velocity of a fired bullet and can be compared to the calculated velocity to determine the accuracy.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when calculating bullet velocity?

Yes, it is important to always follow proper safety procedures when handling firearms and calculating bullet velocity. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, following the manufacturer's instructions for loading and firing the gun, and ensuring that the shooting range is clear of any obstructions or people.