Confirm/Refute: Block A Will Drag Block B to the Left

• Thread starter DJ-Smiles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block Drag
In summary, a simulation was conducted to test the movement of two blocks connected by a string over a frictionless pulley, with one block resting on a frictionless incline and the other attached at an angle. The frictional force resisting the motion of the second block was 50 N. The engineer hypothesized that the first block would drag the second block to the left. After analyzing the forces and components involved, it can be confirmed that the first block will indeed pull the second block towards it.
DJ-Smiles

Homework Statement

In a simulation of machinery at a mine site, blocks of wood were used as shown in the following experimental set-up in which the two blocks – A and B – both of mass 15 kg are joined by a string over a frictionless pulley. Block A rests on a frictionless incline of 30º. Block B is attached to the other end of the string at an angle of 40º as shown. The frictional force resisting the motion of block B is 50 N. The two blocks are then released. The site engineer has proposed the following hypothesis: “Block A will drag Block B to the left”. Confirm or refute this hypothesis

Homework Equations

I am unsure

The Attempt at a Solution

So this question popped up in a revision booklet i got. i know that block A will pull block B to the left because it has a frictionless surface and the pully is frictionless but i am unsure of how to prove this with equations :/ please help

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help us help you if you provided a picture of the set up.

if i understood you correctly,

you will have to decompose the 2 weights into components parallel to the inclination of their respective ramps

then for B, you will have to minus the friction force to find its net force along the ramp

for A its just that component you found as it is frictionless

so after that you will have to find the x component of both the resultant forces , A to the left, B to the right.

their y-components don't matter

you will find that x-component of A is larger, and hence, it would pull B towards A.

Related to Confirm/Refute: Block A Will Drag Block B to the Left

1. Can you explain the meaning of "Block A Will Drag Block B to the Left"?

This statement suggests that Block A has the ability to physically move Block B towards the left. It could also imply that Block A's actions or characteristics will cause Block B to move towards the left.

2. Is there any evidence or proof to support this claim?

As a scientist, I would need to conduct experiments or observations to gather data and evidence to either confirm or refute this statement. Without evidence, it cannot be determined if this statement is true or false.

3. What factors could influence Block A's ability to drag Block B to the left?

The weight, size, shape, and surface area of Block A and B could all potentially influence Block A's ability to drag Block B to the left. The amount of force applied by Block A and any external factors such as friction or obstacles could also play a role.

4. Are there any scenarios where this statement may not hold true?

Yes, there are many potential scenarios where this statement may not hold true. For example, if Block A and B are the same weight and size, they may not be able to exert enough force on each other for Block A to drag Block B to the left. Additionally, if there are any external forces acting on Block A or B, it could alter their ability to move in a particular direction.

5. How does this statement relate to Newton's laws of motion?

This statement could potentially relate to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law which states that an object's acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. If Block A has a greater mass or exerts a greater force on Block B, it may be able to drag Block B to the left. However, further investigation and experimentation would be needed to fully understand the relationship between this statement and Newton's laws.

Back