Confirm the equation for Numerov Integration method

In summary: For the rest you can use the Numerov method.The idea is to shoot to the other boundary value (so you need a good guess for k) and then return a value for k that is the difference between the value you find and the boundary value you are shooting for. Then you can use that value to compare to your target value, and adjust k accordingly. You know how to do that, I think (I've not looked too deeply into your code).Hi & thanks for your reply, I will try your idea of varying r in the loop to see if that helps. I tried varying the initial phi values but no luck so far. Actually
ognik

Homework Statement

I am given the wave eqtn: [itex] (\frac {d^2} {dr^2}+\frac{1} {r} \frac {d} {dr})\Phi(r)=−k^2\Phi(r) [/itex]
The problems asks to 'show that the substitution $$ \Phi=r^{-\frac{1} {2}} \phi $$ gives an eqtn for which the Numerov algorithm is suitable'.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I split the eqtn into 3 parts, (1)=LHS 2nd order operator, (2)=LHS 1sr order, (3)=RHS:
(1) $$ \left(\frac{d\Phi}{dr}\right)^{\!{2}}=\left(\frac{d}{dr}\right)^{\!{2}} \left({r}^{-\frac{1}{2}}\phi\right)=\frac{3}{4}{r}^{-\frac{5}{2}}\phi - {r}^{-\frac{3}{2}}\frac{d\phi}{dr} + {r}^{-\frac{1}{2}}\left(\frac{d\phi}{dr}\right)^{\!{2}} $$
(2)$$ \frac{1}{r}\frac{d\Phi}{dr} = \frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}\left({r}^{-\frac{1}{2}}\phi\right) = -\frac{1}{2} {r}^{-\frac{5}{2}}\phi + {r}^{-\frac{3}{2}}\frac{d\phi}{dr} $$
(3) $$ -{k}^{2}\Phi = {r}^{-\frac{1}{2}} {k}^{2}\phi $$

then (1)+(2)=(3):
$$ {r}^{-\frac{1}{2}} \left(\frac{d\phi}{dr}\right)^{\!{2}} + \frac{1}{4}{r}^{-\frac{5}{2}}\phi = {r}^{-\frac{1}{2}} {k}^{2}\phi $$
Multiply by $$ {r}^{\frac{1}{2}} $$ gives:
$$ \left(\frac{d\phi}{dr}\right)^{\!{2}} +\frac{1}{4}{r}^{-2}\phi=-{k}^{2}\phi $$
Rearranging gives: $$ \left(\frac{d\phi}{dr}\right)^{\!{2}} =-\left({k}^{2}+\left(\frac{1}{2r}\right)^{\!{2}}\right)\phi $$
This is almost in the correct form to use Numerov - except that I don't know what to do with the $$ \frac{1}{2r} $$ term? I was looking for something of the form $$ \left(\frac{d\phi}{dr}\right)^{\!{2}} -{k}^{2}\phi = S\left(r\right)$$ Then with S(r)=0, ki would be the eigenvalue(s)
So I could use some help around how to proceed from here, assuming my workings above are correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello there,

You have dealt with the first order term and get a function of r in exchange. Why do you say that this form is 'almost' in the correct form ?

ognik said:
$$ \left(\frac{d\phi}{dr}\right)^{\!{2}} +\frac{1}{4}{r}^{-2}\phi=-{k}^{2}\phi $$
Please check your signs. Also, be careful with your notation, as
$$ \frac{d^2 \phi}{dr^2} \neq \left(\frac{d\phi}{dr}\right)^{2} $$

As BvU pointed out, ##k^2## can have a dependence on ##r##.

Hi & thanks for replying - I realized that I had the dbl diff. wrong - just couldn't code it properly in latex (new to Latex), I would appreciate seeing the correct dbl diff Latex coding (without the end tags) please?

I thought my working might be correct and understood that k can depend on r, so a better question would have been - is it correct that the eigenvalue is $$ -(k^2 + (\frac{1}{2r})^2)^\frac{1}{2} ?$$ In other words can I treat $$ -(k^2 + (\frac{1}{2r})^2) $$ as $$ -k^2 $$ in my program(call it -l2 to avoid confusion)?

More on the program might help. I must use a shooting method (search) and the Numerov method [S(r)=0 in this case], to find the lowest eigenvalue. The eigenvalue - $$ -(k^2 + (\frac{1}{2r})^2) $$ - varies with r, so my confusion is - should I be solving for k or for the above eigenvalue?

Last edited:
##-(k^2 + (\frac{1}{2r})^2)^\frac{1}{2}## is the second derivative, so you can treat is as such in the numerical integration. It definitely is not an eigenvalue.

More on the program is hard to provide without a lot of giveaway. Better you get started and ask for assistance when stuck.
You do want to think about the behaviour of ##\phi## for ##r\downarrow 0##. The singularities from ##r^{-{\tfrac 1 2}}## might need to be dealt with to make ##\Phi## behave decently.

Thanks for your reply. This particular problem first gives me a simple Fortran program that calculates the eigenvalue k for the standard eqtn: $$ \frac{d^2\phi}{dr^2}=-k^2\phi $$ (note I figured out the latex). The code uses the so called shooting method to find the eigenvalue - it uses Numerov and the guesses at k to settle on the best value for k (using a tolerance).

I am supposed to change the given code to find the eigenvalue of the wave eqtn I show the working for above - hence my questions about that as eigenvalue. In terms of operators, I think that $$ D^2\phi+k^2\phi=0 $$ makes k an eigenvalue? So to amend their program I need to understand how do I treat $$ (k^2+(\frac{1}{2r})^2) $$ instead of $$ k^2 $$

Hi again, still hoping for some help with this. (I know that Φ is not defined at r=0; also k is the wave-number as well as being an eigenvalue)
This problem comes with an existing fortran program (copy is viewable at http://mathhelpboards.com/redirect-to/?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fdrive.google.com%2Ffile%2Fd%2F0B8djt9QSh5rAWldCekRoOGJKVkk%2Fview%3Fusp%3Dsharing) that I must adapt to the situation above. That program outputs the eigenvalue k for the Eq. $$ D^2\phi + k^2\phi=0\:(General\: solution\:is\: k_{n}=n\pi) $$
What I have tried is to substitute: $$ \lambda = (k^2 + (\frac{1}{2r})^2) $$
...so that their program gives me lambda, and then I find k by substituting back into the above eq. I also need to know r, so I adapted their sub to return r.
They have also provided the value I should get - 2.404826. However, I get nothing close to that - see the adjusted program plus output below. If I am doing the right thing above, then the r value I am calculating is wrong, but I can't see why?

Would really appreciate being able to finish this one, thanks
upload_2015-4-15_12-45-9.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-15_12-40-52.png
    upload_2015-4-15_12-40-52.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 571
Looks as if r is a constant in your program: the upper bond of the integration.
Instead you want to have r = ix * h (or r = ix +1 * h) inside the loop, so it really takes part in the whole range.

Initial conditions for ##\phi## are needed anyway to make the function behave decently at r = 0 (cf here).
So you want to be very picky with the first two (I think you call them phim and phiz, not really sure)

Related to Confirm the equation for Numerov Integration method

1. What is Numerov Integration method?

Numerov Integration method is a numerical method used for solving differential equations. It is a second-order algorithm that is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications.

2. How does Numerov Integration method work?

Numerov Integration method uses a recursive formula to approximate the solution of a differential equation. It calculates the next value of the solution by using the previous two values and the equation itself. This process is repeated until the desired accuracy is achieved.

3. What is the equation for Numerov Integration method?

The equation for Numerov Integration method is:

yn+1 = 2(1-52h2pn)yn - (1+12h2pn-1)yn-1 + h2π2fnyn

Where yn is the solution at the nth step, h is the step size, pn is the first derivative of y at the nth step, and fn is the function being integrated.

4. What are the advantages of using Numerov Integration method?

One of the main advantages of Numerov Integration method is its high accuracy. It is a second-order method, which means it can achieve a higher level of accuracy compared to first-order methods. It is also a stable method, making it suitable for solving a wide range of differential equations.

5. In what applications is Numerov Integration method commonly used?

Numerov Integration method is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications, such as solving problems in quantum mechanics, celestial mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It can also be used in other areas of physics, chemistry, and biology where differential equations are involved.