Conformal Mapping: Find Function to Map Between Two Parallel Lines

In summary, the conversation focused on finding a Mobius transformation that maps the area between two circles, |z| = 2 and |z+1| = 1, onto the area between two parallel lines. The initial attempt used the condition f(-2i) = \infty, f(2i) = 0, and f(2) = 2i, resulting in the transformation f(z) = \frac{(z-2i)(i-4)}{\frac{1-i}{2}z+i+1}. However, it was discovered that this transformation did not account for the fact that the circles had different origins. The conversation then shifted to using a parallel line approach, resulting in the transformation g(z
skrat

Homework Statement

Find function that maps area between ##|z|=2## and ##|z+1|=1## on area between two parallel lines.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to check if my solution works for this problem?

I used Möbious transformation:

##f(z)=\frac{az+b}{cz+d}## where I decided that ##f(-2i)=\infty ## and ##f(2i)=0## and ##f(2)=2i##.

Using this I find out that ##f(z)=\frac{(z-2i)(i-4)}{\frac{1-i}{2}z+i+1}##

Now I am almost 100% if the circles would both have center in point 0. However, they have different origins and I somehow don't know how to deal with this kind of problems. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:

Homework Statement

Find function that maps area between ##|z|=2## and ##|z+1|=1## on area between two parallel lines.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to check if my solution works for this problem?

I used Möbious transformation:

##f(z)=\frac{az+b}{cz+d}## where I decided that ##f(-2i)=\infty ## and ##f(2i)=0## and ##f(2)=2i##.

The circles [itex]|z| = 2[/itex] and [itex]|z + 1| = 1[/itex] intersect only at [itex]z = -2[/itex], so you must have [itex]f(-2) = \infty[/itex].

Also, the first choice you need to make is the parallel lines bounding the image of the area in question.

Using this I find out that ##f(z)=\frac{(z-2i)(i-4)}{\frac{1-i}{2}z+i+1}##

Now I am almost 100% if the circles would both have center in point 0. However, they have different origins and I somehow don't know how to deal with this kind of problems. :(

I think I would work backwards, and map the parallel lines [itex]\mathrm{Re}(z) = 0[/itex] and [itex]\mathrm{Re}(z) = 1[/itex] to the circles [itex]|z + 1| = 1[/itex] and [itex]|z| = 2[/itex] respectively by a Mobius map [itex]g[/itex] (these parallel lines are cunningly chosen so that I can take [itex]g(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]g(1) = 2[/itex]). I would then need to check that [tex]
|g(iy) + 1| = 1[/tex] and [tex]
|g(1+ iy)| = 2[/tex] for all [itex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] (which seems easier than checking that [itex]f(z)[/itex] lies on a particular straight line when [itex]|z + 1| = 1[/itex] and so forth) and that if [itex]\mathrm{Re}(z) \in (0,1)[/itex] then [itex]g(z)[/itex] lies between the two circles.

(Finally, of course, I must compute [itex]f = g^{-1}[/itex] which what I'm actually asked to find.)

Hmm, ok, I found out that for ##g(0)=0##, ##g(1)=2## and ##g(\infty )=-2## the Mobius transformation is ##g(z)=\frac{z}{1-\frac{1}{2}z}##

Now I don't understand how you came up with following conditions:

##|g(iy) + 1| = 1## and ##|g(1+ iy)| = 2##

For example, the first one:
##|\frac{iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}+\frac{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}|=|\frac{1+\frac{1}{2}iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}|=1##

##|\frac{(1+\frac{1}{2}iy)^2}{1-\frac{1}{4}y^2}|=1##

##|(1+\frac{1}{2}iy)^2|=1-\frac{1}{4}y^2##

##2iy=0##

Now it is possible that I made a mistake.. ?

skrat said:
Hmm, ok, I found out that for ##g(0)=0##, ##g(1)=2## and ##g(\infty )=-2## the Mobius transformation is ##g(z)=\frac{z}{1-\frac{1}{2}z}##

Now I don't understand how you came up with following conditions:

##|g(iy) + 1| = 1## and ##|g(1+ iy)| = 2##

We need the image of [itex]\mathrm{Re}(z) = 0[/itex] to be [itex]|z + 1| = 1[/itex]. If [itex]\mathrm{Re}(z) = 0[/itex] then [itex]z = iy[/itex] for some [itex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]. Hence we need [itex]|g(iy) + 1| = 1[/itex] for all [itex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex].

For example, the first one:
##|\frac{iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}+\frac{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}|=|\frac{1+\frac{1}{2}iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}|=1##

##|\frac{(1+\frac{1}{2}iy)^2}{1-\frac{1}{4}y^2}|=1##

You are checking whether the condition [itex]|g(iy) + 1| = 1[/itex] is true for all [itex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], so you can't assume this in your calculations. Thus you should start with [tex]
|g(iy) + 1| = \left|\frac{iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}+\frac{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}\right|=\left|\frac{1+\frac{1}{2}iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}iy}\right| =
\left|\frac{(1 + \frac12 iy)^2}{1 + \frac14y^2}\right| = \frac1{1 + \frac14y^2} \left|(1 + \tfrac12 iy)^2\right|
[/tex]
and you need to show that this is equal to 1. You have now to calculate [tex]\left|(1 + \tfrac12 iy)^2\right| = \left|1 - \tfrac14y^2 + iy\right|
= \sqrt{(1 - \tfrac14y^2)^2 + y^2}.
[/tex] Fortunately, the expression under the square root turns out to be a perfect square.

Aaa ok I see it now. We are trying to prove that both of the lines map where they are supposed to; vertical line where ##Re(z)=0## into ##|z+1|=1## and similar for the line ##Re(z)=1##.

Second condition:

##|g(1+iy)|=2##

##|\frac{1+iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}(1+iy)}|=2##

After some calculation, we find out that: ##|\frac{1+iy}{1-\frac{1}{2}(1+iy)}|=\frac{4}{2}\frac{1+y^2}{1+y^2}=2##

Second condition is also good. Therefore yes, the area between two parallel lines is mapped to the area between the desired circles with this Mobius transformation: ##g(z)=\frac{z}{1-\frac{1}{2}z}##

Of course, I need inverse of that, which is ##f(z)=\frac{z}{\frac{1}{2}z+1}##

pasmith, thank you very much!

Related to Conformal Mapping: Find Function to Map Between Two Parallel Lines

1. What is conformal mapping?

Conformal mapping is a mathematical technique used to map one complex plane onto another in a way that preserves angles and shapes. In other words, it is a method of transforming one geometric shape into another while maintaining the same local angles.

2. How does conformal mapping work?

Conformal mapping involves finding a function that maps points from one complex plane to another while preserving angles. This function is typically a complex-valued function that can be expressed in terms of real and imaginary components.

3. What is the purpose of conformal mapping?

Conformal mapping has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to solve complex boundary-value problems, analyze fluid flow, and design complex electronic circuits, among other things.

4. Can conformal mapping be used to map between any two shapes?

No, conformal mapping can only be used to map between two shapes if they have the same topology, meaning they have the same number of holes and are connected in the same way. For example, it can be used to map between two circles, but not between a circle and a square.

5. How is conformal mapping related to the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

Conformal mapping relies heavily on the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are a set of conditions that must be satisfied for a complex-valued function to be differentiable. These equations ensure that the function preserves angles and shapes, making it suitable for conformal mapping.