Conformal Mapping: Finding \phi(z) = z^{0.5}

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding conformal mappings, specifically how the function \phi(z)=z^{0.5} maps the domain r\exp(i\phi) with r>0 and 0\leq \phi \leq \pi. The conversation also suggests using a different symbol for either the complex function \phi or the argument of a complex number to avoid confusion. The suggested approach is to start with \phi(re^{i\theta}) = r^{1/2}e^{i\theta/2} and determine the values of r^{1/2} and \theta/2 within the given domain, which will result in a specific region in the complex plane.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

Is there a rigorous way to find conformal mappins? Say I would like to find how [tex]\phi(z)=z^{0.5}[/tex] maps the domain [itex]r\exp(i\phi)[/itex] (with [itex]r>0[/itex] and [itex]0\leq \phi \leq \pi[/itex]), how would I do this?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:

Homework Statement

Hi

Is there a rigorous way to find conformal mappins? Say I would like to find how [tex]\phi(z)=z^{0.5}[/tex] maps the domain [itex]r\exp(i\phi)[/itex] (with [itex]r>0[/itex] and [itex]0\leq \phi \leq \pi[/itex]), how would I do this?

Please don't use the same symbol for two different objects in the same context! Either [itex]\phi[/itex] is a complex function or it's the argument of a complex number. Choose one and stick with it, and find a different symbol for the other.

To answer your question: Start with [itex]\phi(re^{i\theta}) = r^{1/2}e^{i\theta/2}[/itex]. What values can [itex]r^{1/2}[/itex] take if [itex]r > 0[/itex]? What values can [itex]\theta/2[/itex] take if [itex]0 \leq \theta \leq \pi[/itex]? What region of the complex plane does that give you?

FAQ: Conformal Mapping: Finding \phi(z) = z^{0.5}

1. What is conformal mapping?

Conformal mapping is a mathematical technique used in complex analysis to transform one region of the complex plane onto another while preserving angles. This allows for the study of complex functions in a simpler region of the complex plane.

2. Why is conformal mapping important?

Conformal mapping is important because it allows for the study of complex functions in a simpler region of the complex plane, making it easier to understand and analyze these functions. It also has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. How do you find the function \phi(z) = z^{0.5} for conformal mapping?

To find the function \phi(z) = z^{0.5} for conformal mapping, we can use the Cauchy-Riemann equations to determine the necessary conditions for a function to be conformal. Then, we can solve for \phi(z) using techniques such as the method of images or the Schwarz-Christoffel mapping.

4. What is the significance of the exponent 0.5 in the function \phi(z) = z^{0.5}?

The exponent 0.5 in the function \phi(z) = z^{0.5} represents the square root function, which is a conformal mapping. This means that this function preserves angles, making it useful in many applications where angle preservation is important.

5. Are there limitations to conformal mapping?

Yes, there are limitations to conformal mapping. One limitation is that conformal mapping is only applicable to complex functions and cannot be used for real-valued functions. Another limitation is that not all regions of the complex plane can be mapped onto each other using conformal mapping. Additionally, while conformal mapping preserves angles, it does not necessarily preserve distances or areas.