Conformal Mapping Homework: f(z) = 1/(z-1), c=i

In summary, the problem asks to study the infinitesimal behavior of a function f at a given point c, using the conformal mapping theorem. The function in question is f(z) = 1/(z-1), with c=i. The modulus |f'(c)| is equal to 1/2, indicating that the function is shrinking on the imaginary axis by 1/2. The argument of f'(c) can be found using the polar form of a complex number, and is equal to arctan(b/a). The conformal mapping theorem states that if a function is analytic in a disc and has a non-zero derivative at a point, then it is conformal at that point.
desaila

Homework Statement

"Study the infinitesimal behavior of f at the point c. (In other words, use the conformal mapping theorem to describe what is happening to the tangent vector of a smooth curve passing through c.)"

f(z) = 1/(z-1), c=i

Homework Equations

|f'(c)| and arg f'(c)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know what |f'(c)| is, d/dz is -1/(z-1)^2, and evaluates out to 1/2i. However, I'm not sure what exactly that's saying about the behavior. Does it mean it's shrinking on the imaginary axis by 1/2 ?

Also, about the argument... this is something I can't quite wrap my head around. I've read in this math text, and the wiki entry on arguments, but I'm not quite sure I get it. The equation in this book is, the argument of z = |z|(cos(theta)+ i*sin(theta)) where |z| = sqrt(x^2+y^2).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the problem specifically says "use the conformal mapping theorem", what is the conformal mapping theorem and how does it apply to this problem?

I very much doubt that your book says that the "argument" of x. If z= a+ bi, in polar form is [itex]r (cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))= re^{i\theta}[/itex] then the "modulus" of z is [itex]r= \sqrt{a^2+ b^2}[/itex] and the "argument" of z is [itex]\theta= arctan(b/a)[/itex]. By the time you are working with "conformal mapping", that should be old stuff.

It is old stuff, but I didn't quite understand it then. The conformal mapping theorem, according to the book, is, "If f is analytic in the disc |z-zo|<r and if f'(zo) != 0, then f is conformal at zo."

Where zo is z with subscript 0.

Related to Conformal Mapping Homework: f(z) = 1/(z-1), c=i

1. What is a conformal mapping?

A conformal mapping is a type of mathematical function that preserves the angle and shape of a figure or shape. In other words, it is a mapping that maintains the local geometry of a space.

2. How do I solve for f(z) = 1/(z-1)?

To solve for f(z) = 1/(z-1), you can use the partial fraction decomposition method. This involves breaking down the function into simpler fractions and then solving for the coefficients. In this case, the solution would be f(z) = 1 + 1/(z-1).

3. What does c=i represent in the conformal mapping f(z) = 1/(z-1), c=i?

The value of c=i in the conformal mapping f(z) = 1/(z-1), c=i represents the center of the mapping. This means that the point z=1 will be mapped to the point c=i, while all other points will be mapped accordingly based on their relative distance and angle from z=1.

4. How can I use this conformal mapping to solve geometric problems?

Conformal mapping can be used to solve various geometric problems, such as finding the distance between two points on a plane, determining the angles between lines, or finding the shortest path between two points. By using this mapping, you can transform the problem into a simpler form that can be solved using basic geometric principles.

5. Can conformal mapping be applied to non-linear functions?

Yes, conformal mapping can be applied to non-linear functions. However, the mapping may be more complex and may require more advanced mathematical techniques to solve. In general, conformal mapping is most commonly used for linear functions or functions that can be approximated as linear in a specific region.