Conformal mapping problem(bilinear type)

In summary, the conversation revolved around transforming a shaded area between two concentric circles using different transformations. The suggested transformation was w = 1/(z + a), which maps the shaded area to between circles centered at 1/2a. However, there was a mistake in the formula and the correct transformation is 1/(z + sqrt(a^2 - b^2)). The conversation ended with a request for supporting or refuting explanations.
poweng

Homework Statement

Hi all. We are asked to transform the shaded area in below figure to between two concentric circles, an annulus. Where these circles' center will be is not important, just transform the area to between any two concentric circles. As you see in figure, shaded area is whole right half plane except a gap having center at x=a and radius b.

Figure is here.
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/6331/conform.gif
You may suggest [tex]\frac{z+\alpha}{z+\beta}[/tex] type transformations which may map to origin centered circles.
My suggestion is w=[tex]\frac{1}{z+a}[/tex], no b, looks simple? I think this formula maps the shaded area to between circles centered at [tex]\frac{1}{2a}[/tex].
My explanation is: Shift right whole plane "a" much. Take [tex]\frac{1}{z}[/tex]. If the gap were not there, taking [tex]\frac{1}{z}[/tex] yields a circle having center at[tex]\frac{1}{2a}[/tex] and being tangential to origin. The gap is there and it causes a little gap inside the former circle having center at [tex]\frac{1}{2a}[/tex]. So, [tex]\frac{1}{z+a}[/tex] ends up with two concentric circles with transformed are between them. Am I wrong? My instructor denies me without making a reasonable explanation.

Supporting or refuting explanations will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have noticed my mistake. Idea is correct but there is a little mistake. Correct transform is: 1/(z+sqrt(a^2-b^2)). Anybody, any comment?

Related to Conformal mapping problem(bilinear type)

1. What is a conformal mapping problem (bilinear type)?

A conformal mapping problem (bilinear type) is a mathematical problem that involves finding a transformation between two different regions in the complex plane, such that the angles between curves in one region are preserved in the other region. This type of mapping is often used in engineering and physics to analyze and solve problems involving fluid flow, heat transfer, and electromagnetism.

2. What is the significance of conformal mapping in mathematics?

Conformal mapping is significant in mathematics because it allows for the study and analysis of complex functions in simpler, more well-understood regions. This type of mapping also has applications in other fields, such as physics and engineering, where it can be used to solve real-world problems.

3. How is a conformal mapping problem (bilinear type) typically solved?

A conformal mapping problem (bilinear type) is typically solved using techniques from complex analysis, such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations and the Schwarz-Christoffel formula. These methods involve transforming the problem into a simpler form, such as a simpler geometry or a linear equation, which can then be solved using known techniques.

4. What are some real-world applications of conformal mapping?

Conformal mapping has many real-world applications, including in fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, heat transfer, and electromagnetism. For example, it can be used to analyze the flow of air over an airplane wing, the distribution of heat in a building, or the flow of electricity through a circuit.

5. What are some limitations of conformal mapping?

While conformal mapping is a powerful tool for solving many complex problems, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it only applies to regions in the complex plane, so it cannot be used for problems involving other types of geometries. Additionally, conformal mapping may not always provide an exact solution, and numerical methods may be needed to approximate the solution.