Confused about cmb decoupling/recombination

In summary, the process of decoupling refers to the moment during recombination when photons stopped interacting with charged matter due to the expansion of the universe. This allowed the photons to travel undisturbed and eventually became the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB). The term "nearly" means that the photons did not completely stop interacting, but their mean free path became infinite due to the expansion of the universe. This allowed the photons to avoid collisions with charged matter and continue to travel. This is also how we are able to detect the CMB, as it is able to reach us without being absorbed by any matter.
BkBkBk
I went to wikipedia to look up decoupling and ended up getting a pretty crappy result

"In physical cosmology, the term decoupling is often used for the moment during recombination when the rate of Compton scattering became slower than the expansion of the universe. At that moment, photons nearly stopped their interactions with charged matter and "decoupled", producing the cosmic microwave background radiation as we know it. The term decoupling is also used to describe the neutrino decoupling which occurred about one second after the Big Bang. Analogous to the decoupling of photons, neutrinos decoupled when the rate of weak interactions between neutrinos and other forms of matter dropped below the rate of expansion of the universe, which produced a cosmic neutrino background."

could someone answer me this; when it says "photons nearly stopped their interactions with charged matter and "decoupled" " what does it mean nearly,in reference to the cmb,has the cmb completely stopped interacting with matter?is it possible for it to be red/blue shifted enough to be absorbed by any matter at all? do the photons travel undisturbed completely? I am just thinking this,if the cmb can't interact with matter in any way then how do we detect it?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
BkBkBk said:
could someone answer me this; when it says "photons nearly stopped their interactions with charged matter and "decoupled" " what does it mean nearly,in reference to the cmb,has the cmb completely stopped interacting with matter?is it possible for it to be red/blue shifted enough to be absorbed by any matter at all? do the photons travel undisturbed completely? I am just thinking this,if the cmb can't interact with matter in any way then how do we detect it?

I studied this a long time ago and have only a vague memory of the math, but I can offer a bit of intuition. Someone else may fill in the math. This is just a preliminary response.
I think they should have said Thomson scattering.

For starters just think of a hot expanding cloud of hydrogen, partially ionized. If you like, think about the mean free path of a photon.

You know that at 4000 kelvin, the cloud would be opaque, like the 4000 kelvin gas at the surface of a star. Stars are not transparent because they are hot, partially ionized.
You can calculate the mean free path, by knowing the density of the gas and the percentage ionized. Notice that the percentage ionized depends on the temperature.

Now the cloud expands and cools to 3000 kelvin. At this point (given the estimated density of our universe at that time) the mean free path (MFP) blows up, becomes infinite, by a curious mechanism. If the gas weren't expanding then there would be a finite MFP. Every photon would eventually hit a charged particle. But now, at this critical temperature/density the current MFP is just long enough so that by the time (say 1000 years) the photon would have hit a particle the gas has expanded some more and is less dense and lower temperature and thus less ionized. So the photon gets a new lease on life. Now it has a larger MFP. And by the time that would have run out, expansion and cooling have given it a still longer MFP.

It is like a guy who hopes to incrementally live forever if he can just make it until medical science improves to the next stage, and then to the next stage...and so on. Successively finding cures for all terminal ailments.
Only this time, for the photon, it really works.

Now I just considered a pure hydrogen cloud. But other partially ionized species don't essentiall change things. And when it comes to DUST and STARS and stuff that the photon might hit. Well those things are very sparse. You can sort of neglect the photon having fatal accidents with that stuff. Of course accidents happen, but the MFP is still effectively infinite.

Related to Confused about cmb decoupling/recombination

What is CMB decoupling/recombination?

CMB decoupling/recombination refers to a specific event in the early universe where photons and baryons (protons and neutrons) became "unlinked" or decoupled from each other. This happened about 380,000 years after the Big Bang, when the universe cooled enough for neutral atoms to form and photons were able to travel freely without being scattered by charged particles. This is also when the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) radiation was created.

Why is CMB decoupling/recombination important?

CMB decoupling/recombination is important because it is a crucial event in the history of the universe. It marks the transition from a hot, dense, and opaque early universe to a cooler, less dense, and transparent universe. It is also when the CMB radiation, which provides valuable information about the early universe, was formed.

How does CMB decoupling/recombination affect the CMB radiation we observe today?

CMB decoupling/recombination is the reason why the CMB radiation we observe today is nearly uniform in all directions. Before this event, the universe was filled with a hot, dense plasma that scattered photons in all directions. But when decoupling/recombination happened, the photons were able to travel freely, creating a "snapshot" of the universe at that time, which we observe as the CMB radiation today.

What is the role of hydrogen in CMB decoupling/recombination?

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe and played a crucial role in CMB decoupling/recombination. During this event, the neutral hydrogen atoms formed from protons and electrons that were previously bound together by the high temperatures of the early universe. This caused the universe to become transparent to photons, allowing them to travel freely and create the CMB radiation we observe today.

How do scientists study CMB decoupling/recombination?

Scientists study CMB decoupling/recombination through various methods, including analyzing the patterns and fluctuations in the CMB radiation, studying the properties of the atoms and particles in the early universe, and using computer simulations to model the events that occurred during this time. These studies help us better understand the history and evolution of the universe.