Confused about curvature of vacuum solutions

In summary, the Ricci tensor is zero for a vacuum solution, but this may not hold if there is a cosmological constant.
m4r35n357
When I first started learning about GR, I understood that a vacuum solution is one where the Einstein tensor vanishes, for the simple reason that the stress-energy tensor, T, vanishes. I have since read many times that the Ricci tensor vanishes for a vacuum solution. I am confused because to me this means that the scalar curvature is zero, and if there is no curvature, surely the space is flat?
I would appreciate it if someone could put me straight on this simple (I hope) misunderstanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
The scalar curvature is simply one of many measures of curvature. The most general measure is the Reimann curvature tensor which does not vanish for a vacuum solution.

Matterwave said:
The scalar curvature is simply one of many measures of curvature. The most general measure is the Reimann curvature tensor which does not vanish for a vacuum solution.
OK, so are you definitely and unequivocally saying that the Ricci tensor is zero for a vacuum solution?

Yes. The Ricci tensor, just like the Einstein tensor, is zero for a vacuum solution. With the one potential caveat that this may not hold if there is a cosmological constant.

The Reimann and Weyl curvature tensors are the non-zero curvature tensors in vacuum.

Matterwave said:
Yes. The Ricci tensor, just like the Einstein tensor, is zero for a vacuum solution. With the one potential caveat that this may not hold if there is a cosmological constant.
OK, thanks for replying, sorry to labour the point, but I needed to hear that!
Right, the reason for my question is that I am having problems with Maxima and the Ctensor package, which is my "laboratory" for General Relativity. For some reason Ctensor is giving two non-zero elements (1,2 and 2,2) of the Ricci tensor using its built-in exterior Schwarzschild metric. I also have my own simpler "version" of the metric, but this fares even worse, with five non-zero Ricci elements, and four non-zero Einstein elements. Bearing in mind how simple the Schwarzschild metric is, I am very troubled by these results, and am wondering whether I have a buggy copy of Ctensor.
So, if anyone else here uses Ctensor, I would really appreciate it if you could confirm or refute my findings (using the built-in metric to start with). If you find that Ctensor is reporting a zero Ricci tensor, I can provide snippets that reproduce the problems that I am having.

m4r35n357 said:
OK, thanks for replying, sorry to labour the point, but I needed to hear that!
Right, the reason for my question is that I am having problems with Maxima and the Ctensor package, which is my "laboratory" for General Relativity. For some reason Ctensor is giving two non-zero elements (1,2 and 2,2) of the Ricci tensor using its built-in exterior Schwarzschild metric. I also have my own simpler "version" of the metric, but this fares even worse, with five non-zero Ricci elements, and four non-zero Einstein elements. Bearing in mind how simple the Schwarzschild metric is, I am very troubled by these results, and am wondering whether I have a buggy copy of Ctensor.
So, if anyone else here uses Ctensor, I would really appreciate it if you could confirm or refute my findings (using the built-in metric to start with). If you find that Ctensor is reporting a zero Ricci tensor, I can provide snippets that reproduce the problems that I am having.

I have to correct this slight on ctensor() and Maxima. The problem has been sorted out in PMs between me and the OP. It was finger trouble.
I've used ctensor() for years and with many different spacetimes and never detected an error.

Mentz114 said:
I have to correct this slight on ctensor() and Maxima. The problem has been sorted out in PMs between me and the OP. It was finger trouble.
I've used ctensor() for years and with many different spacetimes and never detected an error.
Well it was only a slight slight, I hope ;) I really have found ctensor indispensable and was actually trying hard to put the blame on myself where it ultimately belonged. So yeah, entirely self-inflicted, pardon me everyone, and thanks to Mentz114 for his help!

Related to Confused about curvature of vacuum solutions

1. What is "curvature" in the context of vacuum solutions?

Curvature refers to the shape or geometry of a vacuum solution, which is a solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity that describes the spacetime continuum in the absence of matter or energy.

2. How is curvature calculated in vacuum solutions?

Curvature is calculated using mathematical equations known as the Ricci and Riemann tensors, which describe how the spacetime continuum is curved at different points and in different directions.

3. Can vacuum solutions have positive or negative curvature?

Yes, vacuum solutions can have positive, negative, or zero curvature. This depends on the amount and distribution of matter and energy in the universe, which determines the overall shape and curvature of spacetime.

4. How does curvature affect the behavior of objects in vacuum solutions?

Curvature determines the path that objects will follow in vacuum solutions. Objects will follow the curvature of spacetime, which can result in phenomena such as gravitational attraction and the bending of light.

5. Is there a limit to how much curvature can exist in a vacuum solution?

There is no limit to the amount of curvature that can exist in a vacuum solution. However, in extreme cases such as near a black hole, the curvature can become infinitely strong, resulting in phenomena such as singularities and event horizons.