Confused About Directional Motion: Help Needed!

In summary, directional motion refers to the movement of an object in a specific direction and can also refer to the change in direction of an object's movement over time. It is different from speed, which only refers to how fast an object is moving. Examples of directional motion include a car moving down a road, a bird flying, or a person walking. The direction of motion can be determined by observing the movement of an object over time. To calculate the velocity of an object with directional motion, you will need to know both the speed and direction, and use vector mathematics to calculate it.
F.B
I have no idea how to do these questions. My teacher did not explain anything.

Anyways my question is:

A watercraft with an initial velocity of 6.4 m/s [East] undergoes an average acceleration of 2.0 m/s^2 [South] for 2.5 s. What is the final velocity of the watercraft?

This are going in different directions. How do i do these types of questions? Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
use vector notation in 2D ie i and j.

Hi there,

I understand that you are struggling with understanding directional motion and how to solve problems involving different directions. It can be confusing at first, but with some practice and guidance, you will be able to understand and solve these types of questions.

First, let's break down the information given in the problem. We have a watercraft with an initial velocity of 6.4 m/s [East], which means it is moving to the east with a speed of 6.4 m/s. Then, we have an average acceleration of 2.0 m/s^2 [South], which means the watercraft is accelerating towards the south with a rate of 2.0 m/s^2. Finally, we are given a time of 2.5 seconds.

To solve for the final velocity, we can use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

Substituting the values given in the problem, we get:

v = (6.4 m/s [East]) + (2.0 m/s^2 [South])(2.5 s)

To add or subtract vectors in different directions, we need to use vector addition. In this case, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the resultant velocity. The Pythagorean theorem states that the squared length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squared lengths of the other two sides.

In our problem, the two sides are the velocity in the east direction (6.4 m/s) and the velocity in the south direction (2.0 m/s^2)(2.5 s). Using the Pythagorean theorem, we get:

v^2 = (6.4)^2 + [(2.0)(2.5)]^2

v^2 = 40.96 + 25

v^2 = 65.96

v = √65.96

v = 8.12 m/s

Therefore, the final velocity of the watercraft is 8.12 m/s at a direction of 53.13 degrees south of east.

I hope this explanation helps you understand directional motion better and how to solve problems involving different directions. Remember to always break down the information given and use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown variable. If you still have trouble, don't hesitate to ask

FAQ: Confused About Directional Motion: Help Needed!

What is directional motion?

Directional motion refers to the movement of an object in a specific direction, such as left, right, up, or down. It can also refer to the change in direction of an object's movement over time.

How is directional motion different from speed?

Directional motion and speed are related but different concepts. Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while directional motion refers to the specific direction in which the object is moving.

What are some examples of directional motion?

Some examples of directional motion include a car moving in a straight line down a road, a bird flying in a specific direction, or a person walking towards a destination.

How can I determine the direction of motion?

The direction of motion can be determined by observing the movement of an object over time. For example, if an object is moving from left to right, its directional motion is towards the right.

How can I calculate the velocity of an object with directional motion?

To calculate the velocity of an object with directional motion, you will need to know both the speed and direction of the object. You can use vector mathematics to calculate the velocity, which takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion.

Back