Confused about Euler-Lagrange Equations and Partial Differentiation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Euler-Lagrange equations using the given Lagrangian and understanding the role of \frac{d}{ds} in the process. The question is whether all coordinates and their derivatives should be considered as functions of s or only the one being used in the equation. The first step is to determine \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{z}} and the second step is to find \frac{d}{ds} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{z}}. The final answer will depend on whether z is a function of s or not.
wglmb
I have a Lagrangian [tex]L = \frac{R^2}{z^2} ( -\dot{t}^2 +\dot{x}^2 +\dot{y}^2 +\dot{z}^2)[/tex] and I want to find the Euler-Lagrange equations [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q} = \frac{d}{ds} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}[/tex]
I'm fine with the LHS and the partial differentiation on the RHS, but when it comes to the [tex]\frac{d}{ds} [/tex] I'm not sure which coordinates I'm supposed to consider as a function of s.

Is it all of them (ie t, x, y, z, and their derivatives)
Or is it only the one I'm doing the equation for (so for the z-equation that's just z and its derivative)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the RHS of the z equation in two steps. First step: What is

[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{z}}?[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2R^2}{z^2}\dot{z}[/tex]

wglmb said:
[tex]\frac{2R^2}{z^2}\dot{z}[/tex]

So

[tex]\frac{d}{ds} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{z}} = \frac{d}{ds} \left( \frac{2R^2}{z^2}\dot{z} \right) = ? [/tex]

Well this is it - I don't know what should be considered a function of s.

If it's just z-dot then [tex]\frac{2R^2}{z^2}\ddot{z}[/tex]

If it's z-dot & z then [tex]\frac{2R^2}{z^2}\ddot{z} - \frac{4R^2}{z^3}\dot{z}^2[/tex]

If [itex]z[/itex] weren't a function of [itex]s[/itex], then [itex]\dot{z}[/itex] would always be zero.

oops, haha good point. Thanks.

FAQ: Confused about Euler-Lagrange Equations and Partial Differentiation

1. What are Euler-Lagrange equations?

Euler-Lagrange equations are a set of mathematical equations used to find the stationary points of a functional, which is a mathematical expression that takes in a function as input and returns a scalar value. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving optimization and dynamics.

2. How are Euler-Lagrange equations derived?

Euler-Lagrange equations are derived from the calculus of variations, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the best function or curve that minimizes or maximizes a given functional. They are derived by setting the first variation of the functional to zero and solving for the unknown function.

3. What is the difference between Euler-Lagrange equations and Lagrange multipliers?

Euler-Lagrange equations are used to find the stationary points of a functional, while Lagrange multipliers are used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function subject to one or more constraints. They are different mathematical concepts and have different applications.

4. What are the applications of Euler-Lagrange equations?

Euler-Lagrange equations have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They are commonly used to solve problems involving optimization, such as finding the shortest path between two points or the path that minimizes energy consumption. They are also used in dynamics to describe the motion of particles and systems.

5. How can I better understand Euler-Lagrange equations?

To better understand Euler-Lagrange equations, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and differential equations. It can also be helpful to study examples and practice solving problems involving these equations. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and lectures can aid in understanding the concepts and applications of Euler-Lagrange equations.

Back