Confused about mean and standard deviation for samples

In summary, the concept of independence in measurements means that they do not affect each other. The mean, denoted by μ, is a numerical value that specifies the expected value of a single measurement. This does not necessarily mean that the average of one measurement will be equal to the same value of the measurement. The term "expected" has technical significance in this context. The value of X can represent different things depending on the context, such as the number of heads on a coin toss or the diameter of an object.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Here is a slide in my notes:
ljGCWha.jpg

I am kind of confused about mean and standard deviation. So in my notes it says X1 to Xn are independent measurements. Then it says each independent measurement has a mean μ. But how is this possible, if they are independent measurements (in order words 1 measurement) how can you take the average of one measurement. Wouldn't it just mean the mean of one measurement is equal to the same value of the measurement? And is μX_bar is the average of all the samples X1 to Xn? Is what I have said so far correct?

Moving on, it says there is some uncertainty for each independent measurement, this kind of makes sense to me. How I see it is if we make a length measurement with a ruler, the uncertainty on it may be +/- 0.5 mm assuming the smallest increments on the ruler is 1 mm. Thus, each independent measurement will have the same uncertainty. Is my interpretation correct? I feel kind of lost right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
theBEAST said:

Homework Statement

Here is a slide in my notes:
ljGCWha.jpg

I am kind of confused about mean and standard deviation. So in my notes it says X1 to Xn are independent measurements. Then it says each independent measurement has a mean μ. But how is this possible, if they are independent measurements (in order words 1 measurement) how can you take the average of one measurement. Wouldn't it just mean the mean of one measurement is equal to the same value of the measurement? And is μX_bar is the average of all the samples X1 to Xn? Is what I have said so far correct?T

Moving on, it says there is some uncertainty for each independent measurement, this kind of makes sense to me. How I see it is if we make a length measurement with a ruler, the uncertainty on it may be +/- 0.5 mm assuming the smallest increments on the ruler is 1 mm. Thus, each independent measurement will have the same uncertainty. Is my interpretation correct? I feel kind of lost right now.

Independence just means that the measurements do not affect one another. If X_1 happens to be above the mean μ this will not in any way affect whether X_2 lies above the mean or below the mean, etc. Here, "mean" is a numerical value of a parameter that specifies the functional form of the probability distribution that generates the observations; it is the so-called "expected value" of any single measurement. For example, if I toss a fair coin and X = number of heads, then in a single toss I observe either X = 1 or X = 0, each with probability 1/2. The expected value is μ = 1/2. This does not imply that I can expect to get 1/2 a head on each toss; The word "expected" here has technical significance and does not need to match ordinary conversational meanings of the word.

Ray Vickson said:
Independence just means that the measurements do not affect one another. If X_1 happens to be above the mean μ this will not in any way affect whether X_2 lies above the mean or below the mean, etc. Here, "mean" is a numerical value of a parameter that specifies the functional form of the probability distribution that generates the observations; it is the so-called "expected value" of any single measurement. For example, if I toss a fair coin and X = number of heads, then in a single toss I observe either X = 1 or X = 0, each with probability 1/2. The expected value is μ = 1/2. This does not imply that I can expect to get 1/2 a head on each toss; The word "expected" here has technical significance and does not need to match ordinary conversational meanings of the word.

Oh okay, so does X mean sample? In other words X1 could be a sample of 4 measurements, X2 would be another sample of 4 measurements, etc?

Because for the central limit theorem, the sigma is the population standard deviation. So I am assuming that the value in the example (0.0564) is the uncertainty in the population of length measurements...?

Last edited:
theBEAST said:
Oh okay, so does X mean sample? In other words X1 could be a sample of 4 measurements, X2 would be another sample of 4 measurements, etc?

It depends on the context. In one group of measurements we might have X_i = number of heads on the ith toss or a coin (so X_1 = 0 or 1, X_2 = 0 or 1, etc.) In another experiment we might have X_i = total number of heads in the ith trial of tossing a fair coin 10 times, so X_1 = 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 or ... or 10, X_2 = 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 or ... or 10, etc. In another type of situation, X_i might be the diameter of the ith piece coming off a production line. In still another type, X_i might be the average diameter of the ith group of 5 objects coming off the production line, etc. What X_i is depends on how the experimenter or measurer wants to structure the situation.

Ray Vickson said:
It depends on the context. In one group of measurements we might have X_i = number of heads on the ith toss or a coin (so X_1 = 0 or 1, X_2 = 0 or 1, etc.) In another experiment we might have X_i = total number of heads in the ith trial of tossing a fair coin 10 times, so X_1 = 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 or ... or 10, X_2 = 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 or ... or 10, etc. In another type of situation, X_i might be the diameter of the ith piece coming off a production line. In still another type, X_i might be the average diameter of the ith group of 5 objects coming off the production line, etc. What X_i is depends on how the experimenter or measurer wants to structure the situation.

In this example, does X represent a single measurement and the standard deviation related to one measurement is 0.0564?

theBEAST said:
In this example, does X represent a single measurement and the standard deviation related to one measurement is 0.0564?
The example given versus the general statement it exemplifies is a bit confusing.
Yes, in the example each Xi is a single measurement. It is not explained how it is known that the mean and uncertainty have the given values, you just have to take it on trust. And they are to be taken as precise and inherent to the entity being measured, not deduced from sample imprecise measurements.

There are several features not to like in the example.
First, what is meant by uncertainty here? It seems they mean one standard deviation, but I'm not aware of any such defined usage. To an engineer, it means the absolute limit on the error, but in that case having multiple samples would not lead to a revised estimate of uncertainty with the formula given.
Further, there could be a systematic error. If I measure a length using a gauge which is only calibrated to millimetres then I can only measure it to the nearest mm, giving a systematic error of +/- 0.5mm. I might get the same reading a hundred times, but the estimate of error does not diminish.

Related to Confused about mean and standard deviation for samples

1. What is the difference between mean and standard deviation for samples?

The mean is the average of a set of data, calculated by adding all values and dividing by the number of values. Standard deviation measures how spread out the data is from the mean. It is calculated by finding the difference between each value and the mean, squaring those differences, finding the average of those squared differences, and then taking the square root.

2. Why is it important to understand mean and standard deviation for samples?

Mean and standard deviation are important measures of central tendency and variability, respectively. They help us summarize and understand a set of data, making it easier to compare different samples and draw conclusions about a larger population.

3. How do you calculate mean and standard deviation for samples?

To calculate the mean, add all values in the sample and divide by the number of values. To calculate standard deviation, first calculate the mean. Then, for each value in the sample, find the difference between that value and the mean, square that difference, and add it to a running total. Divide the total by the number of values in the sample and take the square root of the result.

4. Can mean and standard deviation be used for any type of data?

Mean and standard deviation are commonly used for numerical data, but they can also be used for categorical data that can be converted to numerical values. However, they may not be appropriate for certain types of data, such as skewed or heavily skewed data, in which case other measures of central tendency and variability may be more useful.

5. How can mean and standard deviation for samples be interpreted?

The mean represents the average value of the data, while the standard deviation represents how much the data deviates from the mean. A larger standard deviation indicates a wider spread of data points, while a smaller standard deviation indicates a more clustered set of data points. Mean and standard deviation can also be used to identify outliers or unusual data points in a sample.