Confused about multipole expansion of vector potential

kelly0303
Hello! I found an expression in this paper (eq. 1) for the multipole expansion of the vector potential. I am not sure I understand what form do the vector spherical harmonics (VSH) have. Also, for example, the usual hyperfine interaction operator is given by ##\frac{\mathbf{\mu}\cdot(\mathbf{r}\times \mathbf{\alpha})}{r^3}##. I am not sure how to get back to this expression using equation 1 (or 2), for k=1. On Wikipedia it seems like VSH are defined as ##Y_{lm}\hat{r}##, while in the reference they mention in the paper it would be ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{J(J+1)}}\mathbf{L}Y_{JM}##, where ##\mathbf{L}## is the orbital angular momentum operator. I tried using both and still didn't get back the original formula. Can someone help me with this? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
For a multipole decomposition of a general vector field you need three kinds of vector-spherical harmonics. Written in standard spherical coordinates they are
$$\vec{\Psi}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi)=r \vec{\nabla} \mathrm{Y}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi),$$
$$\vec{\Phi}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi)=\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla} \mathrm{Y}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi),$$
and
$$\vec{\mathrm{Y}}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi)=\vec{e}_r \text{Y}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi).$$
These are all mutually orthogonal to each other under the scalar product on the unit sphere
$$\langle \vec{V}_1|\vec{V}_2 \rangle=\int_{0}^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \vartheta \int_0^{2 \pi} \mathrm{d} \varphi \sin \vartheta \vec{V}_1^*(\vartheta,\varphi) \cdot \vec{V}_2(\vartheta,\varphi)$$
and normlized according to
$$\langle \vec{\Psi}_{lm}|\vec{\Psi}_{l'm'} \rangle=l(l+1) \delta_{ll'} \delta_{mm'},$$
$$\langle \vec{\Phi}_{lm}|\vec{\Phi}_{l'm'} \rangle=l(l+1) \delta_{ll'} \delta_{mm'},$$
$$\langle \vec{\mathrm{Y}}_{lm}|\vec{\mathrm{Y}}_{l'm'} \rangle=\delta_{ll'} \delta_{mm'}.$$

vanhees71 said:
For a multipole decomposition of a general vector field you need three kinds of vector-spherical harmonics. Written in standard spherical coordinates they are
$$\vec{\Psi}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi)=r \vec{\nabla} \mathrm{Y}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi),$$
$$\vec{\Phi}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi)=\vec{r} \times \vec{\nabla} \mathrm{Y}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi),$$
and
$$\vec{\mathrm{Y}}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi)=\vec{e}_r \text{Y}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi).$$
These are all mutually orthogonal to each other under the scalar product on the unit sphere
$$\langle \vec{V}_1|\vec{V}_2 \rangle=\int_{0}^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \vartheta \int_0^{2 \pi} \mathrm{d} \varphi \sin \vartheta \vec{V}_1^*(\vartheta,\varphi) \cdot \vec{V}_2(\vartheta,\varphi)$$
and normlized according to
$$\langle \vec{\Psi}_{lm}|\vec{\Psi}_{l'm'} \rangle=l(l+1) \delta_{ll'} \delta_{mm'},$$
$$\langle \vec{\Phi}_{lm}|\vec{\Phi}_{l'm'} \rangle=l(l+1) \delta_{ll'} \delta_{mm'},$$
$$\langle \vec{\mathrm{Y}}_{lm}|\vec{\mathrm{Y}}_{l'm'} \rangle=\delta_{ll'} \delta_{mm'}.$$
Thank you for the reply. But I am not sure I understand how to use this for the given expression. Is ##C_{k,\mu}^{(0)}(\hat{r})## a linear combination of the 3 terms you mentioned above? Also, what is the ##(0)## standing for?

I hate non-selfcontained papers :-(. Obviously they expect that you have the cited book at hand and look it up. Just laziness! I don't have the book at hand unfortunately.

vanhees71 said:
I hate non-selfcontained papers :-(. Obviously they expect that you have the cited book at hand and look it up. Just laziness! I don't have the book at hand unfortunately.
Ah I see it's not even a universal definition... I found the book here (please let me know if you can't access it). The section is 1.5.2, I would appreciate any insight from you as I am still confused after reading it.

Related to Confused about multipole expansion of vector potential

What is the multipole expansion of the vector potential?

The multipole expansion of the vector potential is a technique used in electromagnetism to express the vector potential in terms of a series of terms with increasing complexity. Each term corresponds to a different type of source distribution: monopole, dipole, quadrupole, etc. This expansion is useful for simplifying the analysis of the electromagnetic fields generated by complex charge and current distributions.

Why is the multipole expansion of the vector potential useful?

The multipole expansion is useful because it allows for an approximation of the vector potential that can be truncated after a few terms, making calculations more manageable. This is particularly helpful when dealing with far-field approximations, where higher-order terms become negligible, thus simplifying the problem significantly.

How do you derive the multipole expansion of the vector potential?

The derivation starts with the general expression for the vector potential, typically involving an integral over the current distribution. By expanding the integrand in terms of spherical harmonics and using the properties of these functions, one can separate the integral into a series of terms, each corresponding to a different multipole moment (monopole, dipole, quadrupole, etc.). The process involves mathematical techniques such as Taylor expansion and integration by parts.

What are the physical interpretations of the different terms in the multipole expansion?

Each term in the multipole expansion has a specific physical interpretation. The monopole term corresponds to a point charge, the dipole term to a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance, the quadrupole term to a configuration of four charges, and so on. These terms describe increasingly complex distributions of charge and current, with higher-order terms representing more detailed structures.

What are the limitations of using the multipole expansion for the vector potential?

The primary limitation of the multipole expansion is that it is an approximation that becomes less accurate as one moves closer to the source distribution. It is most effective for far-field calculations where the distance from the source is large compared to the size of the source. Additionally, truncating the series after a few terms may not capture all the nuances of the actual field, especially if higher-order moments are significant.