Confused about Practical Physics Skills

In summary, this person is having trouble with the practical component of their physics degree course.
thehammer
Hello everyone,

I have been on a physics degree course for the past 4 months. This semester we have started a practical techniques module.

In my first semester the classes I took were all theoretical. I had very few problems understanding and implementing the concepts covered and things went quite smoothly; it has always been this way with theory for me.

However, I've found the practical component of this semester hard going sometimes. I feel so clumsy and occasionally get confused in the lab. I had this problem when I did my A levels at college. I would get fairly good results for my theory exams, but when it came to doing the practical exams I would mess up completely.

So what I would like to know is, am I the only one that has this issue?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Rutherford was famous for destroying experiments!
It was said about some famous theoretical physicist (Bohr?) that while many theoreticians can make an experiment fail by being in the same lab - he could make it fail by being in the same country.

The secret to experiments is to be prepared. Know what you need to measure, how long it will take and how long you have got. Have a plan for what measurements you need at each point, how many points and where they need to be.
Then double check that you have recorded everything you need before moving something.

thehammer said:
Hello everyone,

I have been on a physics degree course for the past 4 months. This semester we have started a practical techniques module.

In my first semester the classes I took were all theoretical. I had very few problems understanding and implementing the concepts covered and things went quite smoothly; it has always been this way with theory for me.

However, I've found the practical component of this semester hard going sometimes. I feel so clumsy and occasionally get confused in the lab. I had this problem when I did my A levels at college. I would get fairly good results for my theory exams, but when it came to doing the practical exams I would mess up completely.

So what I would like to know is, am I the only one that has this issue?

Troubleshooting experiments is a learned skill, just like any other. Some people are better than others, same as any other skill. IMO, introductory labs are soul-crushing simply because they are so contrived- if your data does not closely fall upon a pre-determined line, the problem is your data. And if you don't understand how the apparatus works (a fairly common occurence, unfortunately), you have no way to troubleshoot. This leads to frustration. In useful science, there is no pre-determination, the relevant point for experiments is *repeatibility*.

mgb_phys said:
It was said about some famous theoretical physicist (Bohr?) that while many theoreticians can make an experiment fail by being in the same lab - he could make it fail by being in the same country.

I'm pretty sure that was Pauli :)

eep said:
I'm pretty sure that was Pauli :)

It's even named after him! The Pauli Effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_effect

I've always wondered about the veracity of this tale, but as a prof of mine once said, "Never underestimate the power of coincidence!"

One hint to "get through" this (even if you don't plan on doing experimental work later) is to take steps carefully, and even sit back and rest for a minute or two before proceeding to the next step. In one of my jobs (with the Air Force Research Labs) I had to do some extensive photolithography... and if I messed up certain steps I would lose the work from the previous day or two. I quickly learned it was better to set myself a stopwatch for a minute break in between steps (and just rest on a stool and think about the next step), then to proceed too quickly to the next step (and goof it up). A little technique like that, while slowing down forward progress a bit, prevents what I call "negative progress."

It's a problem for everybody. The real world is hard! I recommend not worrying about it, expect it to be hard; and keep on grinding, breaking what you grind, grind again...

If you want an easy life, take media studies...

Related to Confused about Practical Physics Skills

1. What are practical physics skills?

Practical physics skills refer to the abilities and techniques required to conduct experiments and collect data in the field of physics. These skills include using laboratory equipment, following experimental procedures, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

2. How can I improve my practical physics skills?

The best way to improve your practical physics skills is through hands-on experience and practice. You can also read textbooks and attend workshops or courses that focus on teaching practical physics skills.

3. What are some common challenges in developing practical physics skills?

Some common challenges in developing practical physics skills include limited access to equipment and resources, difficulty understanding complex concepts and equations, and lack of hands-on experience. Time management and attention to detail are also important factors to consider.

4. How are practical physics skills important in the scientific community?

Practical physics skills are essential for conducting experiments and collecting accurate data in the field of physics. These skills are important for developing new theories, testing hypotheses, and making scientific discoveries. They also allow scientists to communicate their findings and replicate experiments for verification.

5. Can practical physics skills be applied in other fields?

Yes, many practical physics skills, such as data analysis and critical thinking, can be applied in various fields beyond physics. These skills are transferable and can be useful in fields such as engineering, medicine, and environmental science.