Confused by Advanced Calculus Proof? Get Help Here!

In summary: If you want to prove that a function is continuous on a given set, you need to use the definition of continuity in analysis, which is basically saying that for a function f: R^n -> R, there exists a function g: R^n -> R such that f(g(x)) = x for all x in R^n. In summary, the proof claims that if a function is "topologically continuous" (meaning the pre-image of any open set is again an open set), then it is also "analytically continuous". However, the proof does not require that the function be defined on all open sets, only on those sets that are balls.
kingwinner
http://www.geocities.com/asdfasdf23135/advcal18.JPG

Well, I don't get the idea of the proof at all...

I have no clue why they can let U be an open ball. Not all open sets are balls, and if they let U be an open ball, it doesn't not seem to me that the proof has covered ALL possibilities of open sets U with the given property.

Can someone please explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm recalling correctly, it's because all open sets can be described as arbitrary unions of open balls. These are the basis elements. Open balls form a basis for the metric space, so you only need to check these and not every possible kind of open set.

Then again, I may be confusing topological and metric concepts here. The thing to remember is, you can describe pretty much any open set in R^k as a union of open balls.

Last edited:
kingwinner said:
http://www.geocities.com/asdfasdf23135/advcal18.JPG

Well, I don't get the idea of the proof at all...

I have no clue why they can let U be an open ball. Not all open sets are balls, and if they let U be an open ball, it doesn't not seem to me that the proof has covered ALL possibilities of open sets U with the given property.

Can someone please explain?

It says for ANY open set U. Balls ARE open sets. So in particular, the premise holds for them.

Dick said:
It says for ANY open set U. Balls ARE open sets. So in particular, the premise holds for them.

Yes, it says ANY, so we have to prove the statement for ANY open set that has the given property...

The assumption is the definition of continuous in topology. What you want to prove is what is usually taken as definition of continuity in analysis. The point of the proof is to show that if a function is "topologically continuous" then it is also "analytically continuous". So assuming f is "topologically continuous" - that is, the pre-image of any open set is again open - you have to prove that it is "analytically continuous", that is:
[tex]\forall \epsilon > 0 \exists \delta > 0: ||x - y|| < \delta \implies ||f(x) - f(y)|| < \epsilon[/tex]

You can also prove the converse (then, assuming that it satisfies the epsilon-delta thing, which is basically the topological definition for open balls only, you do have to show that the pre-image of any open set is open), and then you have proven that the two definitions are equivalent for functions between real vector spaces (or, in other words, that when working on |R^n you can use the practical epsilon-delta definition instead of the rather abstract topological definition to prove continuity of a function).

Last edited:
kingwinner said:
Yes, it says ANY, so we have to prove the statement for ANY open set that has the given property...

NO! That is part of the hypothesis, not the conclusion. You use the hypothesis, you don't have to prove it. You don't have prove it "for any open set", you only have to prove "f is continuous on Rn". You can use whatever open sets you want. In particular, if balls are sufficient, that is all you need.

Related to Confused by Advanced Calculus Proof? Get Help Here!

What is Advanced Calculus Proof?

Advanced Calculus Proof is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series. It is an advanced version of basic calculus that requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as functions, limits, and sequences.

Why do people get confused by Advanced Calculus Proof?

Advanced Calculus Proof can be confusing because it involves complex mathematical concepts and requires a high level of abstract thinking. It also requires a strong foundation in basic calculus, so if someone is struggling with those concepts, it can make understanding Advanced Calculus Proof even more challenging.

What are some common mistakes people make when trying to understand Advanced Calculus Proof?

Some common mistakes people make when trying to understand Advanced Calculus Proof include not fully understanding the definitions and theorems, not practicing enough problems, and not seeking help when needed. It is important to have a solid grasp of the fundamentals and to continuously practice and seek assistance if needed.

How can I get help with Advanced Calculus Proof?

If you are struggling with Advanced Calculus Proof, there are various resources available to help you. You can seek help from your professor or teaching assistant, join a study group, or seek assistance from online resources such as forums or tutoring services. It is important to not be afraid to ask for help when needed.

What are some tips for understanding Advanced Calculus Proof?

Some tips for understanding Advanced Calculus Proof include making sure you have a strong foundation in basic calculus, understanding the definitions and theorems, practicing regularly, seeking help when needed, and breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps. It is also important to stay organized and keep track of your progress.