Confused(HUGE misunderstanding) about potentiometer (HS physics)

In summary, a potentiometer is a variable voltage divider with two resistors, and the center tap position determines the divider ratio. It is useful for seeing what voltage a wire has, but has no current because of voltage law.
qazxsw11111
Hi everyone. I am extremely confused about how a potentiometer works.

In my notes, this is the diagram.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5836/batteryu.jpg

In the branch loop, there is no current. I know this is correct, but I am confused by it. Assuming the current flows clockwise (arbitrary) in the branched circuit,
V(Of branch battery)=Pd across the length the wires are attached to. (By voltage law)

Shouldnt there be a current or something? Why is there no current? I know it is a terrible misunderstanding...

And also what practical use does a potentiometer in this case have? Is it just to see what pd a wire has?

Thanks a lot for your answers

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No wonder you are confused. That diagram has nothing to do with a potentiometer, as far as I can see. A pot is a variable voltage divider. The sum of the two divider resistances is constant, and the center tap position determines the divider ratio.

I'll dig up a good reference for you here in a sec...

Whew. Took a bit of searching, but finally found this link:

http://www.bourns.com/pdfs/trmrpmr.pdf

It's an excellent tutorial on potentiometers by Bourns, one of the larger manufacturer of pots. It's a classic, and filled with great and useful info.

BTW, the PF thread that I found the link in is also very useful. Check it out when you have tiime to read a long (but helpful) thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=178516

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa, that's a huge amount of info right there. Thanks. But what I don't understand is that you said it is not a potentiometer. Why? Thats the diagram my school printed in the notes. It is just that I don't understand why is there no current.
Because of voltage law and assuming current flows anticlockwise,
Total EMF=Total PD
EMF=I (R [A-B])
Shouldnt there be a current?

qazxsw11111 said:
Whoa, that's a huge amount of info right there. Thanks. But what I don't understand is that you said it is not a potentiometer. Why? Thats the diagram my school printed in the notes. It is just that I don't understand why is there no current.
Because of voltage law and assuming current flows anticlockwise,
Total EMF=Total PD
EMF=I (R [A-B])
Shouldnt there be a current?

A potentiometer circuit diagram will show a coupled pair of resistors ( or just a pot symbol ). The voltage sources are different and ancillary to the application.

Compare and contrast the circuit diagram you posted versus the diagrams in the very reputable App Note from Bourns. Which do you think is correct?

Perhaps red wire should be drawn as /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ :smile:

FAQ: Confused(HUGE misunderstanding) about potentiometer (HS physics)

1. What is a potentiometer and how does it work?

A potentiometer, also known as a variable resistor, is an electrical component that can vary the amount of resistance in a circuit. It works by using a sliding contact, known as a wiper, to make contact with a resistive element, allowing the user to adjust the resistance and therefore control the flow of current in the circuit.

2. How is a potentiometer different from a regular resistor?

A regular resistor has a fixed resistance value that does not change. A potentiometer, on the other hand, can vary its resistance and is therefore useful for controlling current in a circuit.

3. What is the purpose of using a potentiometer in a circuit?

Potentiometers are commonly used in circuits to control the brightness of lights, the volume of speakers, and the speed of motors. They can also be used as sensors in measuring devices, such as thermometers and light meters.

4. How do you measure the resistance of a potentiometer?

The resistance of a potentiometer can be measured using a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the resistance (ohms) setting and touch the probes to either end of the potentiometer. The resistance value will be displayed on the multimeter.

5. Can a potentiometer be used to measure voltage?

No, a potentiometer is not designed to measure voltage. It is used to control the flow of current in a circuit, not to measure it. A voltmeter should be used to measure voltage in a circuit.