Confused in Chapter 3 of RF's QED

In summary, the forum member is reading Richard Feynman's QED and has reached Chapter 3. They are questioning Feynman's use of the "stopwatch hand" analogy in earlier chapters and whether it is accurate. They also have questions about the double slit experiment and the concept of particles existing in multiple states simultaneously. They express frustration with some explanations they have heard, but are determined to continue learning and understanding quantum mechanics.
soup_
Hello,

I'm reading through Richard Feynman's QED (for the first time) and I'm at Chapter 3. At the bottom of page 102 (2006 edition), he says, "So the timer we used for the 'imaginary stopwatch' was the monochromatic source:--in reality, the angle of the amplitude for a given path depends on what time the photon is emitted from the source. Once a photon has been emitted, there is no further turning of the arrow as a photon goes from on point to another in space-time."

From what I read from these sentences, he seems to be saying that in Chapters 1 and 2, all the times where he talked about the "stopwatch hand" spinning as the photon traveled through space-time, that he was using it as a simplification.
Am I reading this wrong?

If not, I understand how you could say that the stopwatch hand moving further clockwise with longer paths for the traveling photon is the same as saying it's moving counter clockwise for leaving later. The part I don't understand is how does a photon interfere with itself in the double slit experiment if the hand isn't moving? I.e. Clearly, no matter which path the photon takes it could have only left at a single point in time, so why would we add the probabilities for different paths if path lengths don't effect arrow turning? I think I may have just answered my own question. Is it because we're actually adding the different probabilities for when the photon left the source?

If this is the case, I'm a little annoyed at all the times I heard someone explain the double slit interference as a photon splitting, going through both slits, and interfering with itself. The analogy makes sense if the stopwatch hand turns as the photon moves but it completely falls apart if the photon starts at two different times.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and questions on Richard Feynman's QED. It's always exciting to see someone diving into such a complex and fascinating topic. From your understanding, it seems like you have grasped the concept of the stopwatch hand moving as a simplification for the photon's path in Chapters 1 and 2. However, you are correct in your interpretation that Feynman is saying this is not entirely accurate and that the angle of the amplitude for a given path actually depends on the time the photon is emitted from the source.

In regards to your question about the double slit experiment, the concept of the stopwatch hand moving is still applicable. Although the photon may have only left the source at a single point in time, the probability of it being emitted at any other point in time also needs to be taken into account. This is why we add the probabilities for different paths, as you mentioned. It's important to remember that in quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, which is why the analogy of the photon splitting and interfering with itself is often used.

It's understandable that this may be confusing and even frustrating at times, but it's important to keep in mind that quantum mechanics is a complex and often counterintuitive field. It's a constant process of learning and understanding, and it's always good to question and critically think about these concepts. Keep on reading and exploring, and don't hesitate to ask for clarification or further explanation when needed. Good luck on your journey through QED!

FAQ: Confused in Chapter 3 of RF's QED

1. What is RF's QED?

RF's QED is a book written by physicist Richard Feynman that explains quantum electrodynamics, the theory that describes the interactions between light and matter at the subatomic level.

2. What is chapter 3 of RF's QED about?

Chapter 3 of RF's QED focuses on the concept of probability in quantum mechanics and how it relates to the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

3. Why is chapter 3 of RF's QED confusing?

Chapter 3 of RF's QED can be confusing because it deals with complex mathematical equations and abstract concepts that are not easily understood without a strong background in physics and mathematics.

4. How does chapter 3 of RF's QED relate to the rest of the book?

Chapter 3 of RF's QED sets the foundation for understanding the rest of the book by introducing the key concepts of probability and quantum mechanics. It also builds upon the information presented in the previous chapters.

5. Is it necessary to understand chapter 3 of RF's QED to understand the rest of the book?

While it is not essential to fully grasp every concept in chapter 3 of RF's QED, having a basic understanding of the principles discussed in this chapter will greatly aid in understanding the rest of the book. It is recommended to spend extra time studying and reviewing chapter 3 to fully comprehend the material.