Confused with what to do with my career

In summary, the person is a 36-year-old man from Calcutta, India who is feeling frustrated and lonely in life. He has a BSc degree but has limited job opportunities due to his age and lack of specialization. He is considering pursuing either engineering or CCNA training to improve his career prospects and also meet new people. He is unsure which path to choose and is seeking advice. Additionally, he mentions feeling suicidal and in need of guidance.
chaos123
Confused with what to do with my career-CCNA or Engineering?

Hi
I am very new in this forum.I am leading a miserable life because of past faults.I don't want to get into much details-
I am a 36 yo old man from Calcutta,India.I am a plain Bsc(General) graduate.I had no honors/specialization & my subjects were Physics,Chemistry & Maths.Unfortunately I did that BSc from University of Calcutta which used to award a 2 yr degree for pass course students at that time!Now i cudnt do Masters after that.I am still unmarried & I am very frustrated as I don't have any girlfriends & I am desperately seeking one as I can't get married as I am now jobless.I am very choosy with jobs & earlier I used to work as a Medical Representative in a pharma co.I left the job as I cudnt meet sales targets.I have total 4 yrs experience but basically it equals to zero as I didnt learn anything from the job .I got the job just because I had some references.Unlike in other parts of the world here in India no one wants to give u job after u have reached a certain age.It is very difficult to get a job after 32 and govt service jobs usually closes after 32 except under special circumstances like if u belong to minority community ( which i don't ) or u r Physically handicapped etc etc. I do not fall under any special case.
My worries are two-pronged -1)I have no companion & leading a secluded ostracized life with my parents is very painful (at least to me) when u r seeing young or old,married or unmarried couples roaming about enjoying life.
2)I can't get a suitable job except sales which i don't want to go back as i feel i don't have the capability.
Now i am thinking of doing either engineering or learn some short term courses like IT networking .I was told by one career counselor in a renowned IT training institute to do CCNA but I am thinking of doing engineering,as I can get to meet lots of girls as well do engineering.
What should i choose?
Also I love mechanics & dreamt of making bridges or working in a car manufacturing workshop.I scored above 90% in mechanics in my 10th class with only 1 month prep.
What should be my priority?
Can i get a job in engineering at this age?Or should i do CCNA ,get a job and get married?
Which will be a better life?
I don't how will I be taken by students who are mostly young boys and girls of 18-20 yrs old.
Also I don't know whether I should do engineering or ccna?
What should be my priority -making friends & parallely progressing on a career path ?Can I make friends?Can I get a job in Engineering?
Which is a better path- doing Civil/Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or dong Cisco Certifications?
p.s.: Plz forgive me for talking about girls .Please don't misunderstand me as I can't even write properly as I feel I have become a beggar.I lost too many chances & did too many mistakes. I miss too much ,most of the five basic needs as stated by Maslow- mostly love and affection & money,a job to feed me -are missing in my life.I now depend on my old parents whom I blame much for my miseries now.I wanted to engineering when I was younger but they didnt spend the money then. I am having suicidal thoughts but Actually I am not a very good student & I don't know how to make my life better?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,expecting some reply.

If you are having suicidal thoughts, you should seek professional counseling, not an internet forum.

Related to Confused with what to do with my career

What should I do if I am confused about my career?

It is normal to feel confused about your career, especially if you are at a crossroads in your life. The first step is to take some time for self-reflection and identify your strengths, interests, and values. You can also seek guidance from a career counselor or mentor who can help you explore different career options.

How do I figure out what career path is right for me?

Start by researching different industries and job roles to get an idea of what is out there. Take advantage of informational interviews or job shadowing opportunities to gain hands-on experience and learn more about a specific career. Additionally, consider your skills, passions, and long-term goals to determine which career path aligns best with your personal and professional aspirations.

What if I am afraid of making the wrong career choice?

Fear of making the wrong career choice is common, but it should not hold you back from pursuing your goals. Remember that it is okay to make mistakes and change your career path as you grow and learn. The important thing is to make a decision based on your current interests and goals, and be open to adapting and evolving as needed.

How can I gain relevant experience if I am unsure of my career path?

Volunteering, internships, and part-time jobs are great ways to gain experience in different fields and explore your interests. You can also take online courses or attend workshops to learn new skills and broaden your knowledge. Remember that any experience is valuable, and it can help you make informed decisions about your career path.

What if I am not happy with my current job or career?

If you are unhappy with your current job or career, it is important to take action and make a change. Start by identifying the reasons for your dissatisfaction and exploring other job opportunities that align with your interests and goals. Keep in mind that it is never too late to switch careers and find fulfillment in your work.