Confusion about Homogenous Broadening in Lasers

In summary, the conversation discusses the causes of homogenous broadening in lasers, specifically the finite lifetime of the emitting state and its effect on the frequency of emitted photons. The concept of mode pulling is also briefly mentioned.
H_man
In the book I am currently reading one of the causes stated for homogenous broadening in lasers is the ".. finite lifetime of the emitting state".

Now this really confuses me because I would have thought that that a change in the time it takes for this spontaneous emission should affect the phase of the emitting wave relative to other waves present, but I can't see why it would affect the frequency?

I'd also like to clarify a second point. When we have a laser which begins operation and initially generates a homogenously broadened waveform, is mode pulling when the gain in the central frequency rises higher than the other resonant frequencies, and as a result the other frequencies will die down leaving only the single resonant frequency after some short time interval?

I really appreciate the help!

Harry

Science news on Phys.org
I think of homogeneous broadening as physical effects that affect all of the atoms: excited state lifetime, pressure (in a gas laser), etc. Inhomogeneous broadening effects are those that affect subpopulations of atoms differently- Doppler boradening, for example.

For the excited state lifetime mechanism, it's really due to the fact that an uncertainty in the time an atom can stay in the excited state is equivalent to an uncertantly in the frequency of the emitted photon.

As for your second question, I've forgotten what mode pulling means... I'll check Siegman's book, see what he says.

Thanks, that's very helpful!

Related to Confusion about Homogenous Broadening in Lasers

1. What is homogenous broadening in lasers?

Homogenous broadening in lasers refers to the phenomenon where all the atoms or molecules in the laser gain medium have the same energy level. This results in a broadening of the spectral line, making it more difficult to achieve a single, specific wavelength of light.

2. How does homogenous broadening affect laser performance?

Homogenous broadening can decrease the coherence and increase the linewidth of the laser, making it less suitable for certain applications such as precision measurements. It can also decrease the overall output power of the laser.

3. What causes homogenous broadening in lasers?

Homogenous broadening can be caused by a variety of factors, including collisions between particles, temperature fluctuations, and interactions with neighboring atoms or molecules. These factors can disrupt the uniformity of energy levels within the gain medium, leading to broadening of the spectral line.

4. How can homogenous broadening be minimized in lasers?

To minimize homogenous broadening, careful selection of the laser gain medium and operating conditions is necessary. For example, using a purer and more uniform gain medium and controlling temperature and pressure can help reduce the effects of homogenous broadening.

5. What are some practical applications of homogenous broadening in lasers?

While homogenous broadening is generally seen as a disadvantage, it can be useful in certain applications. For example, it can be used to create a more uniform laser beam for industrial cutting and welding, or to produce a wider range of wavelengths for spectroscopy and telecommunications.