Confusion about ##\sqrt{x^2}= \left| x \right|##

RChristenk
Homework Statement
Confusion about ##\sqrt{x^2}= \left| x \right|##
Relevant Equations
Absolute value concept
By definition, ##\sqrt{x^2}= \left| x \right|##.

For positive ##x##, such as ##4##, it is quite straightforward: ##\sqrt{4^2}=\sqrt{16}=4##.

For negative values, I am more confused: ##\sqrt{(-4)^2}=\sqrt{16}=4##. The answer will always be positive, even if you put in a negative value. So why is there a need for the absolute value on the right side? Wouldn't ##\sqrt{x^2}=x## always work? Because after ##x^2## inside the square root, the value will always be positive.

I am guessing the absolute value is to prevent something like ##\sqrt{(-4)^2} = -4##, but if you just focus on the operation on the left hand side of the equal sign, it is not possible to ever end up with a negative value on the right hand side. So why the need for the absolute value? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
RChristenk said:
For negative values, I am more confused: ##\sqrt{(-4)^2}=\sqrt{16}=4##. The answer will always be positive, even if you put in a negative value. So why is there a need for the absolute value on the right side? Wouldn't ##\sqrt{x^2}=x## always work? Because after ##x^2## inside the square root, the value will always be positive.
Because ##\sqrt{(-4)^2}=4 \ne -4##. So this is an example of why ##\sqrt{x^2} \ne x##.

Likes SammyS