Confusion between Comp. Eng. and Comp. Science

In summary, the speaker is a student in their second year of Computer Engineering and has a dream of working in cyber security. They are unsure if Computer Engineering or Computer Science is the appropriate major for this career path, but have heard from a friend that Computer Science is the correct choice. They are seeking advice on which major is best and plan to take classes specific to security and networking.
CompGuy
I am recently going to undergo my second year in Computer Engineering and my dream job is to work in cyber security. I always thought that I could work in Cyber security with a major in Computer engineering but I have been told that it is Computer Science not engineering, but I heard this from someone that his friend works in that. I wanted to know what major is the appropiate one to work with Cyber security. Please I need help as soon as possible so I could change if I need to.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would think both disciplines would be needed - in the strictest sense, someone to formulate an algorithm and someone to design the hardware that can perform the algorithm. It depends on which side of Cyber security you want to be in.

At my school I took the first network security class they offered and it was taught by a computer engineering professor (who also taught low level computer networking classes) but was open to either CE or CS majors. I don't really think either major will hurt, just take classes on specific to security and also networking and operating systems.

I have a few free electives I which I thought that I could spend them on algorithm and other cyber security classes. Thanks guys

As a scientist, it is important to have a clear understanding of the distinctions between different fields and majors. In this case, Computer Engineering and Computer Science may seem similar, but they have distinct differences.

Computer Engineering is a field that combines principles of computer science and electrical engineering to design and develop computer hardware and software systems. It focuses on the physical components of computers and their integration into larger systems.

On the other hand, Computer Science is a field that deals with the theory, design, and application of computer systems. It is more focused on the software aspect of computers, including programming, algorithms, and data structures.

In terms of working in cyber security, both Computer Engineering and Computer Science can lead to careers in this field. However, the specific skills and knowledge required may vary.

Computer Engineering may be more suitable for those interested in the hardware and network security aspects of cyber security, as it involves understanding the physical components and their vulnerabilities.

Computer Science, on the other hand, may be more suitable for those interested in the software and data security aspects of cyber security, as it involves understanding programming languages, algorithms, and data structures that are used to protect against cyber attacks.

Ultimately, the best major for working in cyber security will depend on your specific interests and career goals. I would recommend researching the curriculum of each major and speaking with professionals in the field to gain a better understanding of which major aligns more closely with your career aspirations.

Related to Confusion between Comp. Eng. and Comp. Science

1. What is the difference between Computer Engineering and Computer Science?

Computer Engineering is a discipline that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of computer hardware and software systems. It combines principles from electrical engineering and computer science to create new computer technologies. On the other hand, Computer Science is a field that deals with the theory and practical applications of computing. It includes topics such as algorithms, programming languages, and data structures.

2. Can a Computer Engineering degree be used to pursue a career in Computer Science?

While there is some overlap between the two fields, a Computer Engineering degree may not cover all the necessary topics for a career in Computer Science. Computer Engineering focuses more on hardware design and development, whereas Computer Science focuses on software development and theoretical concepts. However, with additional coursework or self-study, it is possible to transition from a Computer Engineering degree to a career in Computer Science.

3. Which field has better job opportunities, Computer Engineering or Computer Science?

Both Computer Engineering and Computer Science offer excellent job opportunities. The demand for professionals in these fields is continuously growing due to the increasing use of technology in various industries. The specific job opportunities may vary depending on the job market and individual skills and interests.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math for both Computer Engineering and Computer Science?

A solid foundation in math is crucial for both Computer Engineering and Computer Science. Both fields require knowledge of mathematical concepts such as calculus, linear algebra, and discrete mathematics. However, the level of math required may vary depending on the specific program and courses taken.

5. Can someone with a degree in Computer Engineering work as a software engineer?

Yes, a person with a degree in Computer Engineering can work as a software engineer. However, they may need to acquire additional skills and knowledge in software development through coursework or self-study. Software engineering is a subset of both Computer Engineering and Computer Science, and a strong background in both areas can be beneficial for a career in software engineering.