Confusion on this logarithmic equation NEED HELP

So, in summary, the steps to simplify the equation e^(3+2logx) = (3x-2)*e^3 are to first divide both sides by e^3, and then take the natural logarithm of both sides to get x^2 -3x +2=0. This may be confusing for those used to older conventions where log x meant common logarithm, but in modern texts, log x is commonly used to represent natural logarithm.
Calabi_Yau
e^(3+2logx) = (3x-2)*e^3

I can get down to this point: e^(logx^2)=3x-2 I have checked the solution in the book, and the steps. Turns out it simplifies to x^2 -3x +2=0. The problem is I can't figure out how I pass from e^(logx^2) to x^2, because as far as I know logx isn't the same as lnx.

Could you please explain me that step?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calabi_Yau said:
e^(3+2logx) = (3x-2)*e^3

I can get down to this point: e^(logx^2)=3x-2 I have checked the solution in the book, and the steps. Turns out it simplifies to x^2 -3x +2=0. The problem is I can't figure out how I pass from e^(logx^2) to x^2, because as far as I know logx isn't the same as lnx.

Apparently log x does mean ln x in the context of that problem.

Yeah but why?

Some texts use the convention that log(x) means natural log if no other base is specified.

Calabi_Yau said:
e^(3+2logx) = (3x-2)*e^3

I was able to find the same quadratic equation as you after taking natural logarithms of both sides, [STRIKE]but I still could not show that the original left side and right side are equal[/STRIKE] (I was thinking the question wronly. SOLVING the equation was intended, NOT proving left and right were equal).

One way was to take logs of both sides. Another way was to first divide both sides by e^3.
If divide L and R by e^3,
e^(2lnx) = 3x-2
e^(lnx^2)=3x-2
x^2=3x-2
Simple and easy to find x.

Last edited:
In "pre-Calulus" textbooks, and many older "Calculus and higher" text, where using logarithms to do calculations was predominant, "log x" typically meant "common logarithm, base 10" while "ln x" was the "natural logarithm, base e".

However, in modern, Calculus and above", texts, common logarithms are just never mentioned and "log x" is used to mean "natural logarithm".

Post #6:
Numbers could be written in "scientific notation", using the base-ten system, and the numbers and tables of logarithms could be used in performing computations for the numbers. This is why base-ten logarithms were important and very often used. Our books taught about both log base ten AND log base e. Best of memory is like HallOfIvy said, log was for base ten, and ln was for base of Euler number.

symbolipoint said:
Post #6:
Numbers could be written in "scientific notation", using the base-ten system, and the numbers and tables of logarithms could be used in performing computations for the numbers. This is why base-ten logarithms were important and very often used. Our books taught about both log base ten AND log base e. Best of memory is like HallOfIvy said, log was for base ten, and ln was for base of Euler number.
However, my point was that most advanced texts simply ignore
"log base 10" and use "log x" to mean natural logarithm.

Related to Confusion on this logarithmic equation NEED HELP

What is a logarithmic equation?

A logarithmic equation is an equation that involves the use of logarithms, which are mathematical functions that represent the inverse of exponential growth. Logarithmic equations are commonly used in many fields of science, such as biology, chemistry, and physics.

How do you solve a logarithmic equation?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you must use logarithmic properties to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Then, you can use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable and solve for its value. It is important to remember to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

What is the purpose of logarithms?

The purpose of logarithms is to make complex calculations involving exponential growth more manageable. For example, logarithms can help us find the unknown exponent in an exponential equation or convert a multiplication problem into an addition problem.

Why is there confusion on logarithmic equations?

Logarithmic equations can be confusing because they involve working with inverse functions, which can be counterintuitive. Additionally, there are different properties and rules for logarithms that can be difficult to remember. Practice and understanding these concepts can help reduce confusion.

What are some real-life applications of logarithmic equations?

Logarithmic equations are used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the pH of a solution, measuring the intensity of earthquakes, and modeling population growth. They are also used in technology, such as in signal processing and data compression.