Confusion over angle between vectors

In summary, when finding the angle between two vectors given in i j k notation, it is best to use dot product to avoid confusion because it always gives a unique answer. The angle between the directions of the vectors can be found by picking the smaller angle, and for the cross product, the direction can be determined using the right-hand rule. The dot product and cross product methods will give the same angle between the two vectors.
ThomasMagnus

Homework Statement

I have been doing dot and cross product recently. I get how to calculate everything; however, I am confused about which angle to use when asked to find the angle between two vectors. When you use the cross product, you always end up with 2 answers, for example 120° and 60°. However, if you were to find the angle between them using dot product, you would only get one unique answer, as cos 120 and cos 60 are the opposite sign. So my question is, when asked to find the angle between two vectors given in i j k notation, is it best to always do it using dot product to avoid this confusion?

Also, is it correct to say that the angle found between vectors using the dot product MUST be the same as when using the cross product method?

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{a}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\vec{b}[/itex]=|a||b| cos [itex]\theta[/itex]

[itex]\vec{a}[/itex] [itex]\times[/itex] [itex]\vec{b}[/itex]=|a||b| sin [itex]\theta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When in doubt, revert to basics:

a = ax i + ay j
b = bx i + by j
a dot b = ax bx + ay by since i dot i = j dot j = 1
a x b = set up the determinant:
1st row: i j k
2nd row: ax ay 0
3rd row bx by 0

Last edited:
rude man said:
When in doubt, revert to basics:

a = ax i + ay j
b = bx i + by j
a dot b = ax bx + ay by since i dot i = j dot j = 1
a x b = set up the determinant:
1st row: i j k
2nd row: ax ay 0
3rd row bx by 0

Thing is, I never do it that way really. I guess since arccosine is defined between 0,pi it will have to give the unique and only possible angle?

ThomasMagnus said:
Thing is, I never do it that way really. I guess since arccosine is defined between 0,pi it will have to give the unique and only possible angle?

I understand.

I believe the instructions say "the angle between the directions of the vectors". So if you pick the SMALLER angle between the two vectors you will get the right answer. So that angle never exceeds 180 deg.

For the cross-product you still also need to understand and remember the right-hand rule to get the direction of the cross-product vector. That vector will always be perpendicular to both a and b.

rude man said:
I understand.

I believe the instructions say "the angle between the directions of the vectors". So if you pick the SMALLER angle between the two vectors you will get the right answer. So that angle never exceeds 180 deg.

For the cross-product you still also need to understand and remember the right-hand rule to get the direction of the cross-product vector. That vector will always be perpendicular to both a and b.

Say you use dot product and get 109 degrees, and using cross product you get 71 or 109. It would have to be 109 right?

ThomasMagnus said:
Say you use dot product and get 109 degrees, and using cross product you get 71 or 109. It would have to be 109 right?

I don't quite understand your question.

The "angle between the directions" has nothing to do with whether you're finding the dot or the cross product. It's just the angle between the two vectors.

For dot product the answer is |a|*|b| cosθ and for the cross product the answer is |a|*|b| sinθ with direction determined by the right-hand rule.

You don't "get" an angle to determine either product.

FAQ: Confusion over angle between vectors

1. What is the angle between two vectors?

The angle between two vectors is the measurement of the amount of rotation that is required to align one vector with the other. It is typically measured in degrees or radians.

2. How is the angle between two vectors calculated?

The angle between two vectors can be calculated using the dot product formula: θ = cos⁻¹((a · b) / (|a| * |b|)), where a and b are the two vectors and |a| and |b| are the magnitudes of the vectors.

3. Can the angle between two vectors be negative?

No, the angle between two vectors cannot be negative. It is always a positive value between 0 and 180 degrees.

4. What is the difference between the angle between two vectors and the direction of a vector?

The angle between two vectors is a specific measurement of the rotation between them, while the direction of a vector refers to the orientation of the vector in space. The direction of a vector can be described using angles, but it is not the same as the angle between two vectors.

5. Why is there confusion over the angle between two vectors?

Confusion over the angle between two vectors can arise due to different conventions or methods of calculation. Additionally, some applications may use different units of measurement for angles, leading to further confusion. It is important to clarify the specific context and method being used when discussing the angle between vectors.

Back