Confusion over concept of 'radiance'.

In summary, 'radiance' refers to the amount of radiant energy specified over a certain region, at a point, or across a surface. It is a measure of flux per unit area per unit steradian and is often referred to as intensity or irradiance. It is also uniform along a ray or beam. This information can be found on the Wikipedia page for radiance and is accurate.
genxhis
I have some confusion about what 'radiance' means as used in radiometry; specifically, I don't understand what it is a function of. For example: radiant energy is specified over some region, radiant energy density is specified at a point, radiant flux is specified across some surface, Irradiance -- often called intensity -- is specified either across some finite surface or at a point in a given direction (by taking an infinitesimal area normal to the given direction), and intensity -- adopting the SI definition -- is specified along a line from a point-like source. But radiance? I don't understand. I became especially confused when my book tries to prove that 'radiance' is uniform along a ray or beam. All I really know is it is measured in flux per unit area per unit steradian.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Confusion over concept of 'radiance'.

What is the concept of "radiance" in science?

Radiance is a measure of the amount of light emitted or reflected by a surface or object. It is a physical quantity that describes the intensity of light in a specific direction.

How is radiance different from luminance?

Radiance and luminance are related but different concepts. Luminance is the amount of light emitted or reflected by a surface per unit area, while radiance takes into account the direction of the light. In other words, radiance is a measure of the amount of light emitted or reflected in a specific direction, while luminance is a measure of the overall brightness of a surface.

What causes confusion over the concept of radiance?

One of the main reasons for confusion over the concept of radiance is the fact that it is a complex physical quantity that involves multiple factors, such as the intensity and direction of the light, the reflective properties of the surface, and the distance between the surface and the observer. This can be difficult to understand and measure accurately, leading to confusion.

Why is radiance an important concept in science?

Radiance plays a crucial role in various fields of science, such as optics, astronomy, and remote sensing. It helps us understand the behavior of light and how it interacts with different materials and objects. Radiance also allows us to make accurate measurements and predictions, which are essential for many scientific applications.

How can one better understand the concept of radiance?

A better understanding of radiance can be achieved by studying the fundamental principles of light and its behavior, as well as by familiarizing oneself with the mathematical equations and units used to measure radiance. Additionally, practical experiments and simulations can help visualize and grasp the concept better.