Confusion regarding cos or sin

In summary: Fx=30sin30, so I would flip it so that Fx becomes 30cos30. If you are still having trouble, you could look at the video below to help you better understand the concept.If you are familiar with the drawing Steamking posted then just turn it around until the arrangement matches what's on the problem statement. For example.. on the problem statement it says Fx=30sin30, so I would flip it so that Fx becomes 30cos30. If you are still having trouble, you could look at the video below to help you better understand the concept.In summary, Homework Equations state that Fx=Fcos and Fy=Fsin
joker2014

Homework Statement

I have the solution and everything, I'm just confused why they use cos for Fy and sin for Fx ...

Homework Equations

I've always known Fx=Fcos and Fy=Fsin .. but now I am getting to different problems and it confuses me

The Attempt at a Solution

I read many posts and answers such as "take sin as opposite to theta" but I can't understand... I will apreciate if you could easily put this into brain! check image for example , if you got videos that help please share i have an exam tomorroW

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 4.17.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 4.17.15 PM.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 716
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the way you define the angle.

For the side that is opposite to the angle, you need the sine, for the side next to the angle you need the cosine. That's just the definition of the two (more precise: one possible definition). No logic behind it, just one of the few things you have to learn by heart.

mfb said:
It depends on the way you define the angle.

For the side that is opposite to the angle, you need the sine, for the side next to the angle you need the cosine. That's just the definition of the two (more precise: one possible definition). No logic behind it, just one of the few things you have to learn by heart.
can you explain your concept using the attached image pls?

joker2014 said:
can you explain your concept using the attached image pls?
This is the image you should memorize:

http://demo.activemath.org/ActiveMath2/LeAM_calculusPics/TrigFunctionsTriangle.png?lang=en​

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this and memorized this, even using SOH CAH TOA,, but I can't apply it to the problems I am getting now

joker2014 said:
I know this and memorized this, even using SOH CAH TOA,, but I can't apply it to the problems I am getting now
Well, why don't you take F1 in Prob. 2-145 and identify the parts of the force triangle? IOW, what are the components of F1 ?

well using the concept of "use sine for side opposite to angle" .. then Id say Fx=30sin30 and also Fy=30sin30 ... becausee I take the side and it turns out to be opposite to the angle... this is how I'd solve it and its wrong anyways

joker2014 said:
well using the concept of "use sine for side opposite to angle" .. then Id say Fx=30sin30 and also Fy=30sin30 ... becausee I take the side and it turns out to be opposite to the angle... this is how I'd solve it and its wrong anyways

I can't make out your justification here.

Clearly, the diagram for F1 shows that the angle is 30°. The hypotenuse of the triangle is the line of action with the arrow at the end. There are only two other sides to the triangle, and there can be only one side which is opposite of the 30° angle and one side which is adjacent.

Hint: the opposite side to the angle is the side which doesn't form the angle. The adjacent side is that side (not the hypotenuse) which does form the angle.

joker2014 said:

If you are familiar with the drawing Steamking posted then just turn it around until the arrangement matches what's on the problem statement. For example..

Angles.png

Related to Confusion regarding cos or sin

1. What is the difference between cosine and sine?

Cosine and sine are both trigonometric functions that are used in mathematics. The main difference between them is that cosine (cos) calculates the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle, while sine (sin) calculates the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse.

2. How do I know when to use cosine or sine in a problem?

The choice between using cosine or sine in a problem depends on the given information and what you are trying to solve for. If you are given the length of the adjacent side and the hypotenuse, you would use cosine. If you are given the length of the opposite side and the hypotenuse, you would use sine.

3. Can cosine or sine be negative?

Yes, both cosine and sine can be negative. This depends on the quadrant in which the angle is located. In the first and fourth quadrants, cosine is positive and sine is negative. In the second and third quadrants, both cosine and sine are negative.

4. What are the values of cosine and sine at 90 degrees?

The value of cosine at 90 degrees is 0, while the value of sine at 90 degrees is 1. This is because at 90 degrees, the adjacent side of a right triangle is 0 and the opposite side is equal to the hypotenuse.

5. How are cosine and sine used in real-world applications?

Cosine and sine are used in a variety of real-world applications, including engineering, physics, and navigation. They are particularly useful in calculating the relationship between angles and sides in right triangles, which can help in solving various problems related to distance, height, and other measurements.