Confusion regarding jargon in journals

In summary, the authors were investigating a strange light curve that they could not explain, and they ruled out a variety of known explanations based on the spectrographic data they obtained. They are still investigating the phenomenon, but so far it seems to be an extragalactic event.
Griswold1982
I've been reading a few journal entries on Arxiv.org, and one of the ones that continues to show up in astrophysics and astronomy journals is i775 and/or z850. There are several others, a few of which I have been able to find definitions for. Would anyone know what these mean, and for discussion purposes, are there any others that anyone has trouble with?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Griswold1982 said:
I've been reading a few journal entries on Arxiv.org, and one of the ones that continues to show up in astrophysics and astronomy journals is i775 and/or z850. There are several others, a few of which I have been able to find definitions for. Would anyone know what these mean, and for discussion purposes, are there any others that anyone has trouble with?

Griswold, could you possibly be kidding? I could be completely misinformed about this, but offhand I would identify i775 and Z850 as model numbers of consumer electronics.

How about this? If you came across those terms in some astrophysics/astronomy article in the arxiv, then give us an arxiv link to the article and tell us what page to look on. Then somebody can go check it out and interpret for you if they want.

They look like names of colour filters for imaging.

matt.o said:
They look like names of colour filters for imaging.

Good! Thanks Matt! I found something. Still trying to figure it out. I owe Griswold an apology! They do seem to be color filter names. Not sure so I'm still checking.
=============================

Got something
http://www.carnegieinstitution.org/zdrop/images.html

This shows samples of the same stars seen thru a z-band filter and an i-band filter. They seem to be in the infrared.
It says a typical wavelength for the i-band is around 0.8 micron and for the z-band it's around 0.9 micron.

Well d'uh! My immediate reaction was completely wrong. Learned something new, thanks to you both: Griswold and Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
They are standard broad band photometry filters defined by the sloan digital sky survey and used on the Hubble ACS , it's an extrention of the UBVR film photometry bands.
i775 stands for infrared (in film terms) at 775nm
z850 stands for - so far out into the infrared we have run out of letters - at 850nm

Awesome guys, thanks a bunch. Here is the link.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0809/0809.1648v1.pdf.

They were able to rule out microlensing and any known supernova based on the limited spectrographic data they were able to obtain. The strange thing about the whole thing was the light curve was pretty symetrical, and the spectrum was almost featureless. That, and there is nothing really there, it was most likely extragalactic, but the only thing in that region is a very distant galaxy cluster.

Related to Confusion regarding jargon in journals

1. What is jargon?

Jargon refers to technical or specialized language that is specific to a particular field or subject. It may include terms, acronyms, or abbreviations that are not commonly used outside of that field.

2. Why is jargon used in journals?

Jargon is used in journals to communicate complex ideas and concepts in a concise and precise manner. It allows scientists to communicate with other experts in their field and ensures that their work is accurately understood and evaluated.

3. How does jargon affect understanding of journal articles?

Jargon can make it difficult for non-experts to understand journal articles. If a reader is not familiar with the specialized terminology, they may have a hard time comprehending the content of the article. This can lead to confusion and misinterpretation of the research.

4. Can jargon be avoided in journal articles?

While it may be tempting to avoid jargon in journal articles, it is often necessary to use it in order to accurately convey the information and findings of the research. However, authors should strive to define and explain any unfamiliar terms to make their work more accessible to a wider audience.

5. How can readers overcome confusion regarding jargon in journals?

Readers can overcome confusion regarding jargon in journals by familiarizing themselves with the terminology used in the specific field of study. They can also refer to glossaries or dictionaries for definitions and ask experts in the field for clarification if needed. Additionally, authors should make an effort to define and explain any jargon used in their articles to aid in reader understanding.