Confusion with electromagnetism and Faraday's law

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between Gauss's law and Faraday's law for magnetostatics. While Gauss's law integrates over a closed surface, Faraday's law integrates over an open surface. Additionally, Faraday's law uses the rate of change of flux, not the flux itself. The conversation also addresses a potential confusion about taking the time derivative out of the integral, and clarifies that for Faraday's law the EMF is the integral of the induced electric field around the boundary of an open surface.
Physgeek64
Hi- Sorry if this is a silly question, but by definition the magnetic flux is given by integral B dot dA. But From Gauss' law for magnetostatics is this not zero around a closed loop? So would that not then imply that the EMF around any closed loop is zero? Obviously I'm missing something, so I would be really grateful for any clarification.

Thanks in advance :) you guys rock

Physics news on Phys.org
In Gauss's law, the surface integral is over a closed surface. In Faraday's law, the surface integral for the flux is over an open surface.

Also, note that Faraday's law uses the rate of change of the flux through the surface (i.e. the time derivative of the surface integral), not the flux itself. At a particular point in time, it's possible for the flux to be instantaneously zero, but increasing or decreasing. And it's possible for the flux to be nonzero but constant (time derivative is zero).

jtbell said:
In Gauss's law, the surface integral is over a closed surface. In Faraday's law, the surface integral for the flux is over an open surface.

Also, note that Faraday's law uses the rate of change of the flux through the surface (i.e. the time derivative of the surface integral), not the flux itself. At a particular point in time, it's possible for the flux to be instantaneously zero, but increasing or decreasing. And it's possible for the flux to be nonzero but constant (time derivative is zero).

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense, but my real problem is that the time derivative can be taken out of the integral meaning that 0 is being integrated over a closed circuit ( I get that Faradays Law is for an open surface, but for arguments sake consider a closed circuit) then this implies that the rate of change of flux, and hence the EMF is constant regardless of how the magnetic field is changing. This seems counter intuitive since if it were changing rapidly and randomly I'd expect a different EMF to when the field is changing slowly and periodically.

Thanks again :)

Physgeek64 said:
I get that Faradays Law is for an open surface, but for arguments sake consider a closed circuit

In Faraday's law, the EMF is the integral of the induced ##\vec E## around the boundary (edge) of an open surface. If the surface is closed, where's the boundary?

Related to Confusion with electromagnetism and Faraday's law

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It explains how electric charges and currents create magnetic fields and how changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents.

2. How does Faraday's law relate to electromagnetism?

Faraday's law states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor. This demonstrates the interconnectedness of electricity and magnetism, as described by the theory of electromagnetism.

3. What is the difference between Faraday's law and the equation for electromagnetic induction?

The equation for electromagnetic induction is a mathematical representation of Faraday's law. It shows the relationship between the induced voltage, the number of turns in a conductor, the rate of change of the magnetic field, and the area of the loop.

4. How does Faraday's law apply to everyday devices?

Faraday's law is the basis for many common devices, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. These devices use the principle of electromagnetic induction to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.

5. Can Faraday's law be used in reverse?

Yes, Faraday's law can also be used in reverse, known as the principle of electromagnetic induction. This means that an electric current can be used to produce a magnetic field, which is the basis for electromagnets and many other applications.