Confusion With Related Rates HW

In summary: A/dt = abcosθ dθ/dtIn summary, the area A of a triangle with sides of lengths a and b enclosing an angle of measure θ is given by A=1/2ab sin(θ). To find dA/dt, we can use the chain rule and differentiate with respect to t, giving dA/dt=abcos(θ) dθ/dt, assuming that a and b are constant.
cnrrehab

Homework Statement

The area A of a triangle with sides of lengths a and b enclosing an angle of measure [itex]\theta[/itex] is:

A=1/2 ab sin ([itex]\theta[/itex])

How is dA/dt related to d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt if side a and side b is constant?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure that I need to differentiate with respect to t. So since the 1/2, a and b are constant, would I just take the derivative of sin [itex]\theta[/itex], so it would look like:

dA/dt= 1/2 ab * cos [itex]\theta[/itex]? I feel like I am missing something. If I am using the chain rule, would I add d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt at the end? I am a little confused. Thanks in advance for any help as I am taking Calculus over the summer, and it is not easy.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi cnrrehab! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)
cnrrehab said:
I am pretty sure that I need to differentiate with respect to t. So since the 1/2, a and b are constant, would I just take the derivative of sin [itex]\theta[/itex], so it would look like:

dA/dt= 1/2 ab * cos [itex]\theta[/itex]? I feel like I am missing something. If I am using the chain rule, would I add d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt at the end?

that's right! :smile:

as you know, the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=353" says d(absinθ)/dt = d(absinθ)/dθ dθ/dt = abcosθ dθ/dt

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Confusion With Related Rates HW

1. What are related rates?

Related rates refer to a mathematical concept where the rate of change of one variable is dependent on the rate of change of another related variable. In other words, the two variables are linked and their rates of change are interdependent.

2. How do you approach related rates problems?

When solving related rates problems, it is important to first identify the variables involved and their rates of change. Then, use the given information and equations to set up a relationship between the variables. Finally, differentiate the equation with respect to time and solve for the unknown rate of change.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving related rates problems?

One common mistake is not properly identifying the variables and their rates of change. Another mistake is not setting up the correct relationship between the variables or incorrectly differentiating the equation. It is also important to pay attention to units and ensure they are consistent throughout the problem.

4. How do you use the chain rule in related rates problems?

The chain rule is used when differentiating a function that involves multiple variables. In related rates problems, the chain rule is used to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. This is done by differentiating the equation with respect to time and multiplying it by the derivative of the independent variable with respect to time.

5. Can you provide an example of a related rates problem?

Sure, here is an example: A ladder is leaning against a wall at a rate of 2 feet per second. The bottom of the ladder is sliding away from the wall at a rate of 1 foot per second. How fast is the top of the ladder sliding down the wall when the bottom of the ladder is 6 feet from the wall? To solve this, we would identify the variables (ladder height and distance from the wall), set up a relationship between them using the Pythagorean theorem, differentiate the equation with respect to time, and solve for the unknown rate of change.

Back