Congruence identities using Fermat's Little Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the remainder when 43^43 is divided by 17 using Fermat's Little Theorem. The solution involves simplifying the numbers and considering 9^2 (mod 17) to eventually rewrite 43^43 as 13^5 x 9.
tomwilliam

Homework Statement

Show the remainder when 43^43 is divided by 17.

Homework Equations

$$43 = 16 \times 2 + 11$$
$$a^{p-1}\equiv1\ (mod\ p)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I can state at the outset that as:
$$43\equiv9\ (mod\ 17)$$
Then
$$43^{43}\equiv9^{43}\ (mod\ 17)$$
and that I can rewrite this as:
$$9^{43}=\left(9^{2}\right)^{16}\times9^{11}$$
Then applying Fermat's Little Theorem we get:
$$\left(9^{2}\right)^{16}\equiv1\ (mod\ 17)$$
So that
$$43^{43}\equiv 1\times9^{11}\ (mod\ 17)$$
But I'm unsure where to go from here.
Any help appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
There are numerous ways to go about solving the problem from this kind of point. You just try to simplify the numbers more and more. A nice way I found to solve this is to consider [itex]9^2 (mod 17)[/itex]. You can simplify the problem nicely in the next step after that.

Thanks for taking the time out.
I feel like I'm probably not far away!

$$9^2\equiv13\ (mod\ 17)$$

So I guess I can consider $$9^{11}=\left(9^2\right)^5\times9$$ and simplify to:

$$43^{43}\equiv13^5\times 9$$

But still unsure how to proceed. I'll have another think...

Okay, good! What is another way of writing 13 mod 17?

Related to Congruence identities using Fermat's Little Theorem

1. What is Fermat's Little Theorem?

Fermat's Little Theorem is a mathematical theorem named after French mathematician Pierre de Fermat. It states that if p is a prime number and a is any integer not divisible by p, then a raised to the power of p-1 is congruent to 1 modulo p.

2. How is Fermat's Little Theorem related to congruence identities?

Fermat's Little Theorem can be used to prove congruence identities. This is because the theorem provides a way to simplify expressions involving remainders when divided by a prime number, which is essential in proving congruence identities.

3. Can Fermat's Little Theorem be used for all numbers?

No, Fermat's Little Theorem can only be used for prime numbers. If a number is not prime, then the theorem does not hold true and cannot be used to prove congruence identities.

4. What are some examples of congruence identities using Fermat's Little Theorem?

One example is the identity a^p ≡ a (mod p), where p is a prime number and a is any integer. Another example is the identity a^(p-1) ≡ 1 (mod p), which is just another way of stating Fermat's Little Theorem.

5. How does understanding congruence identities using Fermat's Little Theorem benefit mathematicians?

Understanding congruence identities using Fermat's Little Theorem is beneficial for mathematicians as it allows them to solve complex problems involving remainders and prime numbers. It also provides a way to prove various mathematical theorems and identities, making it a valuable tool in the field of mathematics.