Conic Formula Eigenvalues and PDEs

In summary, the eigenvalues of a symmetric matrix are always real and depend on the sign of the term ##b^2-ac##. The determinant of the matrix is the product of its eigenvalues. If the terms ##\lambda_1## and ##\lambda_2## are both positive or negative, then the eigenvalues must be the same sign.
squenshl

Homework Statement

We have the following conic formula ##ax^2 + 2bxy + cy^2 + dx + ey = ## constant which corresponds to a ellipse, hyperbola or parabola. The second order terms of the corresponding PDE $$ a\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x_1^2} + 2b\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x_1\partial x_2} + c\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x_2^2} + d\frac{\partial u}{\partial x_1} + e\frac{\partial u}{\partial x_2} + gu = f(x_1,x_2) $$ can be written as $$ \sum_{i,j=1}^2 a_{ij} \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x_i\partial x_j} $$ where ##a_{ij}## are the entries of the symmetric matrix $$ A = \begin{pmatrix}
a & b \\
b & c
\end{pmatrix}. $$ Show that the eigenvalues have the same sign if ##b^2-ac > 0##, opposite signs if ##b^2-ac < 0## and one is zero if ##b^2-ac = 0##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the eigenvalues of a symmetric matrix are always real. Also I know that the PDE is said to be elliptic, hyperbolic or parabolic depending on whether ##b^2-ac## is positive, negative or zero. Not too sure what to do next. Please help. The determinant of ##A## is ##ac-b^2##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Given matrix A, how are its eigenvalues computed?

A 2 by 2 matrix can always be put in "Jordan Normal form" or "diagonalized" with its eigenvalues on the diagonal. That is, the derterminant of a matrix is always the product of its eigenvalues.

You are aware that [itex]b^2- ac= -(ac- b^2)[/itex] aren't you?

So we have $$ (\lambda - a)(\lambda - c) -b^2 = \lambda^2 -(a+c)\lambda + ac - b^2$$ which is the characteristic polynomial with the coefficient of ##\lambda## being the trace of ##A## and the last term being the determinant of ##A##.

Last edited:
Do you understand what HallsofIvy is getting at?

I do. But not in showing the signs of eigenvalues in each case for ##b^2-ac##.

If ##\lambda_1 \lambda_2 > 0##, what can you say about the relative signs of ##\lambda_1## and ##\lambda_2##?

Then ##\lambda_1## and ##\lambda_2## must either be both positive or negative, i.e. the same sign. Same argument for < 0 and = 0. Cheers.

Related to Conic Formula Eigenvalues and PDEs

What is the conic formula for eigenvalues?

The conic formula for eigenvalues is a mathematical expression used to find the eigenvalues of a conic section, which is a curve formed by the intersection of a plane and a cone. The formula depends on the type of conic section and involves the coefficients of its equation.

How do I use the conic formula for eigenvalues?

To use the conic formula for eigenvalues, you first need to identify the type of conic section you are working with, such as a circle, ellipse, hyperbola, or parabola. Then, plug in the corresponding coefficients into the formula and solve for the eigenvalues.

Why are eigenvalues important in conic sections?

Eigenvalues are important in conic sections because they provide information about the shape and orientation of the curve. They also help in finding important properties of the conic section, such as its center, foci, and axis. Additionally, eigenvalues are used in many real-world applications, including engineering, physics, and computer graphics.

What is the significance of eigenvalues in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, eigenvalues represent the scaling factor of a vector when it is multiplied by a matrix. They are used to find the eigenvectors of a matrix, which are special vectors that do not change direction when multiplied by the matrix. Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are fundamental concepts in linear algebra and have many applications in fields like data analysis, signal processing, and quantum mechanics.

Can I find the eigenvalues of any conic section using the conic formula?

Yes, the conic formula for eigenvalues can be used to find the eigenvalues of any conic section. However, some conic sections may have complex eigenvalues, which involve imaginary numbers. In these cases, the formula may yield complex solutions that need to be interpreted differently than real solutions.