Connecting 18 Computer Fans to 1 Fan Control

In summary, the individual is building a cigar humidor and needs a fan control to operate 18 3.5" computer fans simultaneously and control their speed. The fans have a rated voltage of 10.8~13.2VDC, starting voltage of 7VDC, rated current of 0.16A, and power input of 1.92W. The individual has found fan controls that can control up to 4 fans and is wondering if it is possible to control all 18 with one device. They are looking for a two-speed setting and are using the fans to vent air from inside the humidor. It is suggested to use a transistor circuit driven by PWM to operate the array of fans and a
joemama69
I am building a Cigar Humidor, and need to have a fan control to operate 18 3.5"Computer Fans simotaniously as well as controll there speed. Here are some specs on the fans...

Rated Voltage: 10.8~13.2VDC
Starting Voltage: 7VDC
Rated Current: 0.16A
Power Input: 1.92W

I have found fan controlls that controll up to 4... is it possible to do all 18 w/ one device.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How many speeds are you looking to have?
Two speed settings, dozens of speed settings, etc?
What percentage of the nominal speed is your lowest speed?

With the DC fans, you can usually PWM them for speed control. Some computer fans have a tachometer output which makes it easy to implement feedback in your system if that is needed.

You should be able to drive the fans with a single output - transistor circuits driven by the PWM (assuming that's the preferred method) should be able to operate the array of fans.

If you want to go simple, you can make a PWM circuit from a 555 timer http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html#17 [/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know your setup here, but as a naive question, are you attempting to use the fans to vent air from inside the humidor and replace it with 'fresh' air?

If so isn't the point of most cigar humidors (for most places) to keep in moisture, rather than to lose it (as would be the case when you vent the humid air from the inside of a humidor and replace it with the less humid air from the outside)?

Related to Connecting 18 Computer Fans to 1 Fan Control

1. How do I connect 18 computer fans to 1 fan control?

The best way to connect 18 computer fans to 1 fan control is to use a fan splitter cable. This cable allows you to connect multiple fans to a single fan header on your motherboard or fan controller. Make sure to check the power and voltage requirements of your fans and the fan control to ensure they are compatible.

2. Can I use any fan control to connect 18 computer fans?

Not all fan controls are capable of handling 18 computer fans. Make sure to check the specifications of the fan control before purchasing to ensure it has enough fan headers to accommodate your needs. It is also important to consider the power and voltage requirements of your fans and the fan control.

3. Is it safe to connect 18 computer fans to 1 fan control?

As long as the fan control has enough fan headers and is capable of handling the power and voltage requirements of the fans, it should be safe to connect 18 computer fans. However, it is always recommended to consult the manufacturer's instructions and specifications to ensure proper usage.

4. Will connecting 18 computer fans to 1 fan control affect the performance of my computer?

Connecting 18 computer fans to 1 fan control may slightly affect the performance of your computer due to the increased power and voltage draw. However, this effect is typically minimal and should not have a significant impact on your computer's overall performance.

5. Can I control the speed of all 18 computer fans with 1 fan control?

Yes, you can control the speed of all 18 computer fans with 1 fan control as long as it has the necessary features and settings. Some fan controls may allow you to adjust the speed of each individual fan, while others may only have a single speed control for all connected fans. Make sure to check the specifications of the fan control to see what options are available to you.