Connecting 30 motors to one source help

In summary, a 480V/3Ph motor with 30 of them requires wiring that is difficult to do, and each motor needs it's own circuit breaker. Each motor has a starter and is 5 HP. If each motor is to be started separately, staggered starts would be needed. The controllers for the fan motor may have single phase protection, and/or AC Under Voltage, which may need to be reset once the main contactor pulls in.
richardv24
Hi guys. I am having some issue and would love any help.

I have a project that requires 30 motors to be hooked up to a single power source. The problem is, the surge voltage that happens the moment the motor turns on causes the buildings circuit breaker to trip. The only way to bypass this is to have each motor turn on at different times. note that each motor is 460 volts 3phase.

I don't know much about this topic so sorry if i sound dumb.

I was wondering. Is it possible to do something with a PCB so that it takes in the supply power and distributes it to 30 devices that will output the supplied power but at, let's say, 1 second intervals.

Is there another solution to this problem that you might have in mind?

Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Rich-

I am assuming these are not too small being 480V/3Ph - and yes starting all 30 I am sure creates a problem. ( What HP or KW are they?)

Is each motor connected directly to a circuit breaker ( makes this difficult) or does each motor have a starter ( usually a contactor with some thermal overload and possibly a fuse)? - this would be easier.

If each one is on it's own circuit breaker, or even multiple ones on one breaker - I can not think of a simple way to stage their starts.

also - just curious, what do these 30 motors do?

Thanks for the fast reply.

To get the easier questions out of the way, each motor is somewhere around 5 HP. They will be going into a Huge air conditioning unit meant to be used for a hospital. This purpose eliminates one or two LARGE fans with many smaller fans.

As the motors are being installed into my air conditioning unit, I can wire them pretty much any way that I would want. These motors are EC motors that elminate VFD's to power them up. It pretty much has overload protections and starters built into it. It just requires a 0-10 volt dc signal to adjust speed. However, powering the internal capacitor is where we get this in-rush current. I still protect each motor with fuses. The thought of time-delay fuses has come up before, but some projects would cause 100's of fan and doing a time-delay system on those would not be recommended.

Thanks for your response.

5hp is a huge fan. 30 of them is really huge.
Are you sure 5hp is the fan and not the compressor?

Search on "Inrush Current Limiter. It's a negative temperature coefficient resistor that limits inrush to hungry electronic power supplies for just the problem you describe.
I had a manufacturer add them to some supplies for our plant. We used "Keystone Carbon Company" thermistors but I can no longer find them. They were a good ol' Pennsylvania company.
Here's a similar product line:
http://www.ge-mcs.com/en/temperature/inrush-current-limiting/inrush-current-limiter.html

If instead your overcurrent is from trying to start 30 compressor motors all at once - I think you'll have to stagger their starts.

So there is still a speed controller - so really you are trying to energize 30 motor controllers, If Jim's inrush current limiters are not a possibility, it would be possible to do an AC Pre-charge circuit - You will need a smaller contactor on 2 legs of the AC with a current limiting resistor, then a main contactor ( for 30 x 5 HP this really should be a few contactors * )
Once the Pre-charge Contactor pulls in, it feeds the 480 via limiting resistor to the drives, the Drives Capacitors will come up to full voltage after a few sec, then the main contactor can pull in ( delayed by a timer relay - which is energized by the PC Relay).
The main contact needs to self-energize ( via appropriate safety loop(s) of course).

The controllers for the fan motor may (should) have single phase protection, and/or AC Under Voltage - these fault may need to be reset once the main contactor pulls in.

I am not finding data on 5HP EC motors - can you post a link to a DS?

Related to Connecting 30 motors to one source help

1. How do I connect 30 motors to one source?

To connect 30 motors to one source, you will need to use a parallel circuit. This means connecting each motor in its own separate circuit branch, all connected to the same source. This will ensure that each motor receives the same voltage and current from the source.

2. What type of source should I use to power 30 motors?

The type of source you use will depend on the voltage and current requirements of the motors. It is important to choose a source that can handle the combined voltage and current needed for all 30 motors. This could be a battery pack, power supply, or even a generator.

3. Can I use one switch to control all 30 motors?

Yes, you can use one switch to control all 30 motors. However, it is important to make sure that the switch can handle the combined current of all the motors. It may be necessary to use a relay or multiple switches to control the motors more effectively.

4. How do I prevent overloading the source when connecting 30 motors?

To prevent overloading the source, you can use a fuse or circuit breaker in the circuit. This will automatically cut off the power supply if the current exceeds a certain limit, protecting both the motors and the source from damage.

5. Is there a limit to the number of motors that can be connected to one source?

There is no specific limit to the number of motors that can be connected to one source. However, it is important to consider the voltage and current requirements of the motors, as well as the capacity of the source. It is also important to ensure that the wiring and connections can handle the amount of current needed for all the motors.

Back