Connecting Op-Amps: Is Vcc- to Ground OK?

• Thread starter SMOF
  • Start date
In summary: Hello,I'm using an op-amp in a unity gain configuration between a voltage divider and an Arduino development board. Now, I will be connecting the Vcc+ to +5V, but is it okay to connect the Vcc- pin to ground, or would this cause me any issues?Thanks in advance.
SMOF
Hello,

I am sure this is a dumb question, but I am not sure about the answer, so hopefully someone can help me.

I am using an op-amp in a unity gain configuration between a voltage divider and an Arduino development board. Now, I will be connecting the Vcc+ to +5V, but is it okay to connect the Vcc- pin to ground, or would this cause me any issues?

Thanks ina advance.

Seán

Engineering news on Phys.org
Should be ok as long as all you need is positive voltages. Your output range will be ~5V to 0V.

Hello.

Thanks for the reply.

Yea, all I need is positive voltages. So, if it is okay to connect it up like that, I guess something else is screwing up my results.

Well, at least I have crossed one thing off my list.

Thanks again.

Seán

SMOF said:
Hello,

I am sure this is a dumb question, but I am not sure about the answer, so hopefully someone can help me.

I am using an op-amp in a unity gain configuration between a voltage divider and an Arduino development board. Now, I will be connecting the Vcc+ to +5V, but is it okay to connect the Vcc- pin to ground, or would this cause me any issues?

Thanks ina advance.

Seán

You need to use special opamps to run between just 5V and 0V. Simple jellybean opamps like the LM741 and TL084 need several volts of headroom at their inputs and outputs, with respect to the voltage rails. Check the datasheet for the opamp you plan to use.

There are more advanced CMOS opamps that can have their inputs and outputs operate near the rails. You can search at Maxim or National Semiconductor's websites to find some examples. Just look for "rail to rail opamp".

Last edited:
Hello,

Thats great, thanks for that!

Seán

Related to Connecting Op-Amps: Is Vcc- to Ground OK?

1. Can I connect Vcc- to ground in an op-amp circuit?

Yes, it is generally acceptable to connect Vcc- (the negative power supply pin) to ground in an op-amp circuit. This is commonly done in single-supply op-amp circuits.

2. What effect does connecting Vcc- to ground have on the op-amp?

Connecting Vcc- to ground essentially sets the negative power supply voltage to 0V. This can affect the output voltage range and the overall performance of the op-amp, but these effects can usually be compensated for in the circuit design.

3. Are there any limitations to connecting Vcc- to ground in an op-amp circuit?

In some cases, connecting Vcc- to ground may not be appropriate. For example, in circuits that require a wide output voltage range or high precision, using a dual power supply (with both positive and negative voltages) may be necessary.

4. Can I use Vcc- as a reference voltage in my op-amp circuit?

No, Vcc- is not a stable reference voltage and should not be used as such. It is intended to be connected to the negative power supply and should not be used for any other purpose.

5. Are there any safety concerns when connecting Vcc- to ground in an op-amp circuit?

As long as the op-amp is properly powered and grounded, there should be no safety concerns with connecting Vcc- to ground. However, it is always important to follow proper safety precautions when working with electronic circuits.