Connecting Points with a Curved Equation: Solving a Calculus Word Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a curve of the form y = ax^5 + bx^3 + x that connects the points (-1,-1) and (1,1) and has a slope and curvature of zero at the endpoints. The formula for curvature is used and values for the constants a, b, and c are determined. However, further steps are needed to ensure that the second derivative of the curve is also zero at the endpoints.
physics=world
1.A line segment extends horizontally to the left from the point (-1, -1). Another line segment extends horizontally to the right from the point (1, 1). Find a curve of the form
y = ax^5 + bx^3 + x
that connects the points (-1, -1) and (1, 1) so that the slope and curvature of the curve are zero at the endpoints.

2. This is from chapter 12 of calculus in my book. This chapter is about vector valued function.

3. I tried plugging in values for the constant a, b, and c.

Which I tried a = -1, b = 1, c = 1.

and this works. It give an equation that connects the endpoints,

but it does not give me zero for the curvature of the curve.

Here is my work:

the formula for curvature that I used:

K = |y"| / [1 + (y')^(2)]^(3/2)

y' = -5x^(4) + 3x^(2) + 1
y" = -20x^(3) + 6x

If I plug in x = 1 (because of the point (1,1))

I get:

y' = -1
y" = 14

Plugging in those values into the formula gives me 14.

I need some help/advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
physics=world said:
1.A line segment extends horizontally to the left from the point (-1, -1). Another line segment extends horizontally to the right from the point (1, 1). Find a curve of the form
y = ax^5 + bx^3 + x
that connects the points (-1, -1) and (1, 1) so that the slope and curvature of the curve are zero at the endpoints.

2. This is from chapter 12 of calculus in my book. This chapter is about vector valued function.

Here is my work:

y" = -20x^(3) + 6x

I get:

y' = -1
y" = 14

I need some help/advice.
Many combinations of a & b will make the graph of y vs. x pass through those two points.

All that's required is that a + b + 1 = 1 and -a - b - 1 = -1 .

Don't choose values for a & b until you look at requirements for y' and y'' .

Added in Edit:

Oh, I see that you left c out of
y = ax5 + bx3 + x​

I assume that should be y = ax5 + bx3 + cx

Therefore, to get y = x at x= 1, -1 , you need

a + b + c = 1

and

-a - b - c = -1

Then conditions on y' and y'' should nail down a, b, c .

Last edited:
SammyS said:
I assume that should be y = ax5 + bx3 + cx

Therefore, to get y = x at x= 1, -1 , you need

a + b + c = 1

and

-a - b - c = -1

Then conditions on y' and y'' should nail down a, b, c .

I'm stuck at what to do next. I been trying a lot of things like trying to get values for a, b, c and setting one thing to another. I need some advice on what to do next.

physics=world said:
I'm stuck at what to do next. I been trying a lot of things like trying to get values for a, b, c and setting one thing to another. I need some advice on what to do next.
See my above reply.

I Edited it shortly after posting it.

If the equation is of the form

y = ax^5 + bx^3 + cx

How would I put conditions on the equation so that the derivative of the second order produces a zero?

physics=world said:

y = ax^5 + bx^3 + cx

How would I put conditions on the equation so that the derivative of the second order produces a zero?
a, b, and c, are constants.

What is y' for that function?

What is y'' for that function?

y' = 5ax^(4) + 3bx^(2) + c

y" = 20ax^(3) + 6bx

physics=world said:

y = ax^5 + bx^3 + cx

physics=world said:
y' = 5ax^(4) + 3bx^(2) + c

y" = 20ax^(3) + 6bx

OK.

Now set y'' to 0 for x = 1 and/or x = -1 . Won't that answer your question regarding the second order being zero?

If I set y" to zero and have x = 1 it produces

20a + 6b = 0

physics=world said:
If I set y" to zero and have x = 1 it produces

20a + 6b = 0

That's a start.

Now continue using what is required of y' and y . - - both at x = 1 . (x = -1 gives the same results.)

okay now at x = 1

y = a + b + c
y' = 5a + +3b + c

physics=world said:
y = ax^5 + bx^3 + x

Here is my work:

y" = -20x^(3) + 6x

I get:

y' = -1
y" = 14

I need some help/advice.

In order to have y = -1, y' = 0 and y" = 0 at x = -1, the polynomial y = y(x) must have the form ##y = -1 + a(x+1)^3 + b(x+1)^4 + c(x+1)^5## (because terms in ##x+1## and ##(x+1)^2## do not have both derivatives = 0 at x = -1). In order to have y = 1, y' = 0 and y'' = 0 at x = +1, y must have the form ##y = 1 + a'(x-1)^3 + b'(x-1)^4 + c'(x-1)^5##. If we set x = z+1 (so z = x-1) in the first form, we can expand it and get it in terms of z alone; the second form is already in terms of z alone. So, the two forms must match, which really means that when we express the first form in terms of z the constant must = +1 and the coefficients of ##z## and ##z^2## must vanish. Can you see the consequences of that?

physics=world said:
okay now at x = 1

y = a + b + c
y' = 5a + +3b + c
Sure, and what must be the value of y' at x = 1 ?

FAQ: Connecting Points with a Curved Equation: Solving a Calculus Word Problem

What is a calculus word problem?

A calculus word problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves using calculus concepts and techniques to solve a real-world scenario. These problems often require the use of derivatives, integrals, and other calculus principles to find a solution.

How do I approach a calculus word problem?

The first step in approaching a calculus word problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. Identify what information is given and what needs to be solved for. Then, use your knowledge of calculus to set up and solve the problem, making sure to show all steps and clearly label any variables.

What are some common applications of calculus word problems?

Calculus word problems can be found in a variety of fields, including physics, economics, engineering, and more. Some common applications include optimization problems, related rates, and finding volumes and areas of irregular shapes.

How can I check my answer to a calculus word problem?

One way to check your answer to a calculus word problem is to plug it back into the original problem and see if it satisfies all given conditions. You can also use a graphing calculator or online graphing tool to graph your solution and see if it matches the given data or scenario.

What are some tips for solving calculus word problems?

Some tips for solving calculus word problems include carefully reading and understanding the problem, identifying what information is given and what needs to be solved for, using diagrams or graphs to aid in visualization, setting up and labeling equations clearly, and checking your answer for reasonableness.