Consciousness and the measurement problem

In summary: This is known as the "measurement problem" and is one of the central issues in the philosophy of QM. According to the measurement problem, it is impossible to determine the state of a quantum system until after an observation has been made. The problem arises from the fact that several principles of the theory appear to be in conflict. For example, the postulate of collapse states that the state of a quantum system is always definite. However, the principle of dynamicism states that the state of a quantum system is never definite, but rather it evolves over time. The problem is that these two principles appear to be in conflict. The measurement problem has been a source of frustration for many physicists,
Viva-Diva
Consciousness and "the measurement problem"

Hello All,

Just a reminder that I am not a physicist...but for those who closed my thread on power of the mind :-(((( , pleae share your views on

this- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness_causes_collapse

and this- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princeton_Engineering_Anomalies_Research_Lab

If there is a lab at Priceton University studing this, why do you all think it is bull? Bear with me, I am just trying to understand.

Thanks to all in advance!
Viva-Diva

Physics news on Phys.org
Viva-Diva said:
Hello All,

Just a reminder that I am not a physicist...but for those who closed my thread on power of the mind :-(((( , pleae share your views on

this- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness_causes_collapse

and this- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princeton_Engineering_Anomalies_Research_Lab

If there is a lab at Priceton University studing this, why do you all think it is bull? Bear with me, I am just trying to understand.

Thanks to all in advance!
Viva-Diva

Unless you are able to measure consciousness by some instrument you can't prove any connection between consciousness and wave function collapse. Thus you will not find answers to your questions in the physics department.

maybe it should have been in the 'philosophy' or 'Scepticism and debunking' forum area?

PEAR is defunct, over, kaput. It was never taken seriously. The funding was mostly private, it was a bit of an embarrassment to Princeton.

Last edited:
Measurement in Quantum Theory
From the inception of Quantum Mechanics (QM) the concept of measurement has proved a source of difficulty. The Einstein-Bohr debates, out of which both the Einstein Podolski Rosen paradox and Schrödinger's cat paradox developed, centered upon this difficulty. The problem of measurement in quantum mechanics arises out of the fact that several principles of the theory appear to be in conflict. In particular, the dynamic principles of quantum mechanics seem to be in conflict with the postulate of collapse. David Albert puts the problem nicely when he says:

'The dynamics and the postulate of collapse are flatly in contradiction with one another ... the postulate of collapse seems to be right about what happens when we make measurements, and the dynamics seems to be bizarrely wrong about what happens when we make measurements, and yet the dynamics seems to be right about what happens whenever we aren't making measurements.' (Albert 1992, 79)

This has come to be known as "the measurement problem" and in what follows, we study the details and examine some of the implications of this problem. [continued]
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qt-measurement/

There is a view among some astophysicists [Quantum Cosmologists, I guess] that an observation of a QM system collapses the wavefunction of the observer, and not the function of that observed!

Last edited:

Related to Consciousness and the measurement problem

1. What is consciousness and why is it important?

Consciousness is the state of being aware of one's thoughts, feelings, and surroundings. It is important because it is the basis of our experiences and perceptions of the world.

2. What is the measurement problem in relation to consciousness?

The measurement problem refers to the challenge of understanding how consciousness arises from the physical processes in the brain. It is a major mystery in the field of neuroscience and psychology.

3. How do scientists study consciousness?

Scientists study consciousness using various methods such as brain imaging techniques, behavioral experiments, and theoretical models. They also collaborate with experts in other fields such as philosophy and computer science.

4. What are some theories about the nature of consciousness?

Some theories propose that consciousness is a product of the brain's neural activity, while others suggest it is a fundamental aspect of the universe. Other theories focus on the role of attention, information processing, and the integration of different brain regions in creating consciousness.

5. Can consciousness be measured or quantified?

Currently, there is no universally accepted way to measure or quantify consciousness. However, some researchers have proposed metrics such as levels of awareness, cognitive functioning, and brain activity patterns as potential measures of consciousness.