Consciousness: Objective - Subjective

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of reality and how it affects us emotionally. The speaker is curious about the possibility of other forces at play in our subjective reality and asks for input on the matter. However, it is mentioned that this forum is intended for discussions about questions that can be answered by theories of physics, and the questions posed may not necessarily fall under that category. The concept of a "subjective reality" is also discussed, with the conclusion that there is no scientific evidence for it and interpretations of quantum mechanics may not fully address the concept.
A Beginner
Hey guys! Go easy on me. I'm here to learn.

This is a fascinating subject to me. I'm not trying to recreate a topic. I actually googled this topic and found this site, but the thread was locked. If I missed another similar thread feel free to redirect me.

Opening the brutal topic of reality, I have 2 primary concerns for investigation.

1. In my reality we are affected emotionally in a way outside of a physically exclusive reality.
2. If we affect each other and also can't deny observations of physical interaction what other forces could be at play that effect a subjective reality?

Care to take a stab?

Physics news on Phys.org
These threads tend to get locked because this forum is intended for discussions about questions that can be answered by theories of physics. I don't think your questions belong to that category.

I don't know what you mean by "my reality". Are you referring to the model of your surroundings that your brain creates and keeps updating with new information from your sensory organs? If so, how is this "outside of a physically exclusive reality"? The second question is even harder to understand. Are you asking if there's a reason to think that reality is subjective? There's none given by science alone. Someone might mention some interpretation of QM that they feel says something along those lines, but interpretations of QM aren't really science, and I also think the ones that include something similar to a subjective reality look more like different aspects of a many-worlds interpretation than like actual interpretations. So they can't really answer your question.

FAQ: Consciousness: Objective - Subjective

1. What is consciousness?

Consciousness refers to the state of being aware of one's thoughts, feelings, and surroundings. It is the subjective experience of being alive and aware.

2. Is consciousness objective or subjective?

The debate about the nature of consciousness is ongoing, but many scientists believe that it is a combination of both objective and subjective elements. The objective aspect refers to the physical processes and brain activity that give rise to consciousness, while the subjective aspect refers to the individual experience of consciousness.

3. Can consciousness be measured?

Consciousness is a complex concept and cannot be easily measured. However, scientists use various tools and techniques such as brain imaging and behavioral experiments to study the neural correlates of consciousness.

4. Is consciousness unique to humans?

While it is difficult to determine the level of consciousness in other species, research has shown that many animals possess some level of consciousness. However, the degree and nature of consciousness may differ between species.

5. How does consciousness affect our behavior and decision-making?

Consciousness plays a crucial role in our behavior and decision-making processes. It allows us to process information, make choices, and be aware of our actions and their consequences. Our level of consciousness can also be influenced by external factors such as emotions, thoughts, and external stimuli.

Back