Consequences of collision between 2 particles ~ 1/2 the mass of the universe?

In summary, a 2 particle collision with half the energy of the observable universe would result in the creation of exotic particles and antiparticles, which would eventually break down into more familiar particles. This particle cloud would expand at a rapid rate, potentially forming areas of higher density through gravitational attraction. This process is similar to the big bang, but with more antimatter and occurring in already existing space-time. Our current understanding of physics is limited at these energies, and a theory of quantum gravity would be needed to accurately model the consequences of such a collision. There is also a possibility of forming a large black hole if the universe is large enough.
jeyemhex
Based on our current understanding of physics, what would be the consequences of a 2 particle collision, (for argument's sake say an electron-positron collision), each with roughly half the energy of the universe (~1.9×1081 GeV/c2 i think)? How would this differ from our picture of the big bang?

My current understanding, mostly through guesswork, is that a great many exotic particles/antiparticles would be created, eventually over time breaking down into more familiar particles. This particle cloud would expand in at a great rate, possibly with areas higher in density collecting by gravitational attraction.

This, to my mind, sounds similar to the big bang, but a) with much more antimatter and b) already existing in space-time, not forming it as a consequence.

I have a very limited knowledge of quantum field theories and general relativity, i was hoping someone with more insight could amend/add to my understanding.

Just to be clear:
a) I am not proposing this as a theory for the origin of the universe, I am just curious what the difference would be.
b) I assume that our knowledge of physics is not expected to hold at these energies, i was just wondering what the consequences would be if they did.

Physics news on Phys.org
An accurate model of that would need a theory of quantum gravity or something similar.
It might form an extremely big black hole, if the universe where you collide those particles is big enough to give anything like that.

I think you mean "energy of the observable universe", if you have a specific number for that.

Related to Consequences of collision between 2 particles ~ 1/2 the mass of the universe?

1. What is a collision between particles?

A collision between particles is a physical interaction between two or more particles where they come into contact with each other and exchange energy and momentum.

2. What happens when two particles with 1/2 the mass of the universe collide?

When two particles with 1/2 the mass of the universe collide, the resulting collision can have a variety of outcomes depending on the speed and direction of the particles. It could result in the creation of new particles, the annihilation of both particles, or simply a change in direction and velocity for both particles.

3. What are the potential consequences of such a collision?

The consequences of a collision between particles with 1/2 the mass of the universe can be significant. It could lead to the formation of new structures in the universe, such as galaxies and stars. It could also release a tremendous amount of energy, potentially affecting the overall expansion and evolution of the universe.

4. How does the mass of the particles impact the collision?

The mass of the particles plays a crucial role in the collision. The larger the mass, the more energy and momentum will be exchanged during the collision. As a result, the consequences of a collision between particles with 1/2 the mass of the universe would be more significant than a collision between particles with lower masses.

5. Can we observe collisions between particles with 1/2 the mass of the universe?

It is highly unlikely that we would be able to directly observe a collision between particles with 1/2 the mass of the universe. However, scientists can simulate these collisions using particle accelerators and study the resulting data to gain a better understanding of the potential consequences of such events in the universe.

Back