Conservation of Angular Momentum; angle of rotation

In summary, the problem involves a block of mass m sliding down a frictionless ramp and colliding with a uniform rod, length L, mass 2m, that is suspended about a pivot point. The collision is inelastic, meaning energy is not conserved but momentum (angular) is. In order to find the angle θ through which the system rotates before coming to rest, we can use conservation of energy to determine the angular speed immediately after the collision. We can then use v = Rω to find the kinetic energy of the system after the collision. Finally, in order to find θ, we can use conservation of energy for the "swinging up" after the collision.
Knight to b2

Homework Statement

A block of mass m slides down a frictionless ramp from height h above the floor. At the base of the ramp it collides and sticks to the lower end of a uniform rod, length L, mass 2m, that is suspended about a pivot at point O, about which it is free to rotate. Express answers in terms of m, g, h, and L.
Find the angle θ through which the system rotates before momentarily coming to rest after the collision.

Homework Equations

I used conservation of energy to determine angular speed ω immediately after collision: Ei = Ef
I used v = Rω to find kinetic energy of the system after collision.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found ω to be √6gh/5L^2 ; I found kinetic energy after the collision to be (9/5)(mgh). However, I'm at a loss at how to find the angle θ. I tried using conservation of angular momentum but became confused - if the initial point is immediately after collision and the final point is when the system is momentarily at rest, that means Li = 0. There has to be a mistake in my reasoning somewhere; I need help bridging this gap I have in my angular knowledge.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to PF! :smile:

Note:
(1) "collides and sticks" ⇒ inelastic collision.
(2) What quantity is actually conserved during the collision?
(3) Angular momentum is not conserved for the "swinging up" after the collision. What quantity is conserved for the swing up?

Likes Knight to b2
Ah, so

1) and 2) Since it is an inelastic collision, energy is not conserved but momentum (angular) is during the collision
3) Would energy be conserved for the "swinging up" after the collision?

Knight to b2 said:
Ah, so

1) and 2) Since it is an inelastic collision, energy is not conserved but momentum (angular) is during the collision
3) Would energy be conserved for the "swinging up" after the collision?
Yes. Good.

FAQ: Conservation of Angular Momentum; angle of rotation

1. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

2. How is angular momentum defined?

Angular momentum is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. It is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion.

3. What factors affect the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum is affected by the moment of inertia and angular velocity of an object. Any changes in these factors can impact the conservation of angular momentum.

4. What is the relationship between angular momentum and the angle of rotation?

The angle of rotation is directly proportional to the angular momentum of an object. This means that as the angle of rotation increases, so does the angular momentum, and vice versa.

5. How is the conservation of angular momentum applied in real-world situations?

The conservation of angular momentum is applied in various real-world situations, such as in the motion of planets around the sun, the rotation of spinning objects, and the movement of objects in a gyroscope. It is also used in engineering and technology, such as in the design of satellites and spacecraft.

Back