Conservation of Energy and Angular Momentum in Planetary Motion

In summary: The potential energy is conserved because the velocity is conserved. The square of the velocity is the negative of the potential energy because the potential energy is related to the velocity by the equation (dr/dt)2.
C.E
1. Hi, I was hoping someone could offer some guidance with the following, I don't even know how to start it.

The motion of a planet of mass m around the sun of mass M is governed by the following equation (note r is a vector):

d^2r = -k r
dt^2 ||r||^3

where K=Gm (G is the gravitational constant) and r(t) is the position of the planet relative to the sun.

1. Show the following quantities are conserved.

a. Total energy (the sum of the potential and kinetic energies of the planet).

b. The angular momentum of the planet J.

c.The lenz- Runge vector
dr x J-mk r = L
dt ||r||
Hint: (a x b) x c = (a.c)b- (b.c)a (note a.c is scalar product of a and c similarly b.c is scalar product of b and c).

2. (a) Interpret the constancy of J geometrically.
(b). Assume the planet moves in an ellipse with one focus at the sun, show by considering the point when the planet is furthest from the sun that L points in the direction of the major axis of the ellipse.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi C.E! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
C.E said:
d^2r = -k r
dt^2 ||r||^3

1. Show the following quantities are conserved.

a. Total energy (the sum of the potential and kinetic energies of the planet) …

Hint: dot-product both sides with dr/dt, and integrate :wink:

When I dot product both sides with dr/dt I get the following:

dr[tex]^{2}[/tex]/dt[tex]^{2}[/tex] . dr/dt = -kr/||r||[tex]^{3}[/tex] . dr/dt.

Can I simplify this? What am I integrating it with respect to?

C.E said:
Can I simplify this? What am I integrating it with respect to?

No, it's simple enough as it is. :smile:

And you're integrating with respect to t.

Hint: "squared" :wink:

dr[tex]^{2}[/tex]/dt[tex]^{2}[/tex] . dr/dt /dt.
is of the form u du/dt (with dr/dt as u). That's easy to integrate.

Ok so on the left hand side I get u[tex]^{2}[/tex]/2 is this right?
I'm sorry but I don't know how to integrate the right hand side the ||r|| is really confusing me. Any more hints?

Yes, which in this case is (dr/dt)2.

You don't need to integrate the right side. Just recognize it as being the negative of the potential energy!

I thought dr/dt was the velocity, why is its square the negative of the potential energy? How does this show energy conservation?

FAQ: Conservation of Energy and Angular Momentum in Planetary Motion

1. What is Particle Mechanics?

Particle Mechanics, also known as Classical Mechanics, is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of particles under the influence of forces.

2. What is the role of Calculus in Particle Mechanics?

Calculus is essential in Particle Mechanics as it provides the mathematical tools necessary to describe and analyze the motion of particles. It helps in determining the position, velocity, and acceleration of particles as they move through space.

3. What are the basic principles of Particle Mechanics?

The basic principles of Particle Mechanics include Newton's Laws of Motion, the Law of Conservation of Energy, the Law of Conservation of Momentum, and the Principle of Least Action. These principles govern the behavior of particles and their interactions with forces.

4. How is Particle Mechanics applied in real-life situations?

Particle Mechanics has numerous practical applications, such as predicting the motion of objects in space, designing vehicles and structures, and understanding the behavior of fluids and gases. It also plays a crucial role in fields like engineering, astronomy, and biomechanics.

5. What are some common examples of problems solved using Particle Mechanics and Calculus?

Some common examples include determining the trajectory of a projectile, calculating the speed and acceleration of a car, and analyzing the motion of planets in the solar system. Other examples include predicting the behavior of pendulums, springs, and simple harmonic oscillators.