Conservation of Energy bullet of mass

In summary, a bullet of mass m is fired at an angle x with a velocity of 50m/s. It hits a bob of mass 3m hanging from a string 3.3m long and gets embedded in it, causing the string to rotate by 120 degrees. To find x and the coordinates of the bob with respect to the projectile, the conservation of mechanical energy must be applied. The equation 0.5m(50cosx)^2 = 4mg*3.3*(1+sin30) is used, resulting in a value of x = 30 degrees. However, this answer may not match the given answer due to a potential error in calculating the height of the bob in the potential energy
chaoseverlasting

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass m is fired with a velocity of 50m/s at an angle x. At the top of its trajectory it hits a bob of mass 3m hanging by a string 3.3 m long and gets imbedded in it. The string rotates by an angle of 120 degrees.

Find x and the coordinates of the bob wrt the projectile.

The Attempt at a Solution

The bullet hits the bob with velocite 50 cosx. The kinetic energy of the bullet gets converted into the gravitational potential energy of the bob and the bullet.

[tex]0.5m(50cosx)^2= 4mg*3.3*(1+sin30)[/tex]
cosx=0.4

The answer, however, is 30 degrees. I used cosx=0.4 to solve the second part, but needless to say, that answer didnt match either.

What did I do wrong? Or is the given answer incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what "bob wrt the projectile" means, and so I am not really sure what you did wrong or what you were trying to solve. However, in your energy equation it looks like you are doing
[tex]E_i = E_f[/tex]
[tex]K_i + U_i = K_f + U_f[/tex]
[tex]K_i = U_f[/tex]

I agree with the initial kinetic, but it looks to me like you calculated the height the wrong for your potential.

chaoseverlasting said:
The bullet hits the bob with velocite 50 cosx.
Good.
The kinetic energy of the bullet gets converted into the gravitational potential energy of the bob and the bullet.
Careful! Is energy conserved during the collision of bullet with bob?

Isnt the energy conserved? And bob wrt projectile means that the origin is at the point where the projectile was launched. We have to find the position of the bob w.r.t that origin.

chaoseverlasting said:
Isnt the energy conserved?

Only momentum is conserved, not energy.

chaoseverlasting said:
Isnt the energy conserved?
As e(ho0n3 has stated, during the collision only momentum is conserved. But after the collision, the mechanical energy of the "bullet+bob" system is conserved. Both parts are needed to solve this problem.

Related to Conservation of Energy bullet of mass

1. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to a bullet of mass?

When a bullet is fired from a gun, the chemical energy stored in the gunpowder is converted into kinetic energy as the bullet accelerates. As the bullet travels through the air, it also experiences air resistance, which converts some of its kinetic energy into heat. When the bullet hits a target, its remaining kinetic energy is converted into other forms such as sound and deformation of the target. Overall, the total energy of the bullet remains constant, following the principle of conservation of energy.

3. Is the conservation of energy always true for a bullet of mass?

Yes, the conservation of energy is a universal principle that applies to all objects, including bullets of mass. This principle has been extensively tested and observed in various physical systems, and it has always been found to hold true.

4. Can the conservation of energy be violated by a bullet of mass?

No, the conservation of energy is a fundamental law of nature that cannot be violated. Any apparent violation of this principle can be explained by energy being transferred or transformed in ways that are not immediately apparent.

5. How is the conservation of energy related to other principles of physics?

The conservation of energy is closely related to other fundamental principles of physics, such as the conservation of momentum and the laws of thermodynamics. Together, these principles form the foundation for understanding the behavior of physical systems and are essential for predicting and explaining various phenomena in the universe.