Conservation of energy, how far must a spring be compressed

In summary: I was overthinking it.In summary, two children, Bobby and Rhoda, are playing a game where they try to hit a small box on the floor with a marble fired from a spring loaded gun on a table. The target box is 2.20 m away from the edge of the table. Bobby compresses the spring 0.011m but the marble falls 0.27m short of the box. To score a direct hit, Rhoda needs to compress the spring by a factor of 1.14, as determined by the ratio of the initial velocity and the horizontal distance. Making the ratio simplified the problem and showed that it was not as difficult as it seemed initially.
sjcorona
Two children are playing a game in which the try to hit a small box on the floor with a marble fired from a spring loaded gun mounted on a table. The target box is horizontal distance D=2.20 m from the edge of the table. Bobby compresses the spring 0.011m but the center of the marble falls 0.27 m short of the center of the box How far should Rhoda compress the spring to score a direct hit? Assume that neither the spring nor ball encounters friction in the gun.

So I know that the ball will leave the gun with initial kinetic energy of 1/2mv^2 = the 1/2 k Δx^2 of the springs potential energy. I tried isolating velocity and using that in my kinematic equation d=v(t)+1/2at^2 and solved for time thinking that maybe I could find the height of the table and find the right velocity from there then work backwards to spring potential energy, but that didn't work because I don't know k or m and am not sure if I as n the right track

Physics news on Phys.org
By what factor must the initial velocity increase to reach the box?

Hint: Make use of the fact that initial velocity is horizontal in all cases.

New velocity= 1.14(d)/t I can plug that back into my kinetic=spring potential but I still have too may unknowns

sjcorona said:
New velocity= 1.14(d)/t I can plug that back into my kinetic=spring potential but I still have too may unknowns
Think in terms of ratios. To increase the velocity by a factor of 1.14, by what factor must Δx increase?

So are you saying that all I had to do to solve this was make a ratio of it all? That sounds far too easy

sjcorona said:

So are you saying that all I had to do to solve this was make a ratio of it all?
Yep.
That sounds far too easy
Sometimes a problem looks harder than it is. :smile:

Wow...thank you

Related to Conservation of energy, how far must a spring be compressed

1. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental law in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How is the conservation of energy related to springs?

A spring contains potential energy when it is compressed or stretched. When released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, demonstrating the conservation of energy.

3. How far must a spring be compressed to store a certain amount of energy?

The amount of energy stored in a spring is directly proportional to its compression. This means that the more a spring is compressed, the more energy it will store.

4. How can the energy stored in a spring be calculated?

The potential energy stored in a spring can be calculated using the equation E = 1/2kx^2, where E is the energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the compression distance.

5. Can the energy stored in a spring be completely conserved?

The energy stored in a spring will never be completely conserved due to factors such as friction and air resistance. However, the law of conservation of energy still holds true as the energy is transferred and converted to other forms.