Conservation of Energy Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up the initial and final conditions for solving a physics problem involving two masses. It is suggested to use Newton's laws and kinematics, or energy principles to solve the problem. The values of potential energy will depend on the reference level chosen, and for part a, if the floor is chosen, m1 will have potential energy in both the initial and final states. The conversation also mentions that m1 will continue to accelerate until m2 reaches the ground, and that the distance of m2 from the ground can be used to calculate this acceleration.
ianmgull

Homework Statement

P3NaLOL.png

Homework Equations

ΔK1+ΔK2+ΔU1+ΔU2 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

The biggest stumbling block I have is setting up the initial and final conditions. First the initial:

1)Does m1 have potential energy in this setup? Part of me thinks it would have m1gh but I could also see it having zero potential energy (being on the table top).

2)I assume the final state would be right when m1 hits the ground (m2 has already hit). If this is the case, don't I need information at some intermediate state between the two? For instance, when m1 leaves the table?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try applying Newtons laws and kinematics and then energy principles?

Last edited:
I figured I would need to know the distance that m2 is from the edge of the table for that (which I don't know). Is there something I'm missing that you could point out?

oh sorry first of all welcome to Physics forum :)
See that the mass m1 will experience force till mass m2 has not reached the ground. So mass m1 will keep on accelerating till mass m2 reaches the ground. So you can calculate how much it will accelerate as you know the distance of m2 from ground.Understood?

Last edited:
You can use either conservation of energy or the laws of motion.
I understand that you are expected to use energy laws, right?

The values of potential energy will depend on where do you choose the reference level.
If you use the floor, m1 will have potential energy (m1*g*h) in the initial state. And it will have the same potential energy in the final state (for part a).

FAQ: Conservation of Energy Problem

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it allows us to understand and predict how energy behaves in various systems. It also helps us understand the limitations and possibilities of energy use in everyday life.

What are some examples of conservation of energy?

Some examples of conservation of energy include a ball rolling down a hill, a pendulum swinging back and forth, and a light bulb producing light from electrical energy.

What are the consequences of violating the law of conservation of energy?

If the law of conservation of energy is violated, it would mean that energy could be created or destroyed, which would go against our current understanding of physics. This could have major consequences for our understanding of the universe.

How is conservation of energy related to other laws of physics?

Conservation of energy is closely related to other laws of physics, such as the law of conservation of mass and the law of conservation of momentum. These laws work together to help us understand the behavior of matter and energy in different systems.

Back